what grains to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfisherwes

Reaction score
I'm gonna buy a 50 pound bag of 2 row. Aside from that I'm gonna buy some grain for specific recipes but I want to buy some grain for some general and easy spring/summer beer recipes. I might actually get 100 of 2 row. What specialty grains should I buy? And how much? I like IPAs but I plan to do some simple light tasting ales as well. Maybe something like sam adams summer ale. Just tell me what you'd get. I'm looking for advice.

TIA

For a good selection of adjunct malts and base malts to add to your two row, I'd get some malted wheat, a couple different types of Crystal malt, Victory, Vienna, and maybe a little Honey malt.

For a good selection of adjunct malts and base malts to add to your two row, I'd get some malted wheat, a couple different types of Crystal malt, Victory, Vienna, and maybe a little Honey malt.

how much how much????

please dont feel like im gonna get mad if i listen to your advice and dont like it. I just need some advice. Should I maybe get 50lb of 2 row and another 50 of something else then some specialties? im gonna try and brew one or two five gallon batches a week for the next five weeks.

Get a # of golden naked oats some various crystal malts,various roasted malts,carapils,some wheat,... i would get like a # of a good variation to experiment with.At least get a few different crystal type malts,and a few roasted malts,and specialty malts.Just get a pound of how many you want. I think honey malt oat malt and golden naked oats are good. You can also toast your own base malt instead of getting busicuit or victory but definatly use a toasted malt. I would experiment with pale ales and ipas with differnet hops also. Get a good liquid yeast also and learn how to harvest it, i bought my first liquid yeast after a year of brewing and im making some really good beers now.

Get a 50# bag of base malt and get a 50 # bag of Vienna. Or Pilsner but get some munich too.
I had a bunch of crystal and various roasted malts left over so i bought my first 50# bag of base malt to use them up, bought 1 liquid yeast and am making like over 10 beers from that one vial.I just wish i had some vienna,pilsner,or munich left over. I do like to use some wheat ocasionally.

If money is kinda tight, i would get the bag of base malt then use the other 50 to get a variation of different malts. This way you can brew everything. Then again im thinking smaller batches ( a bag of base will give me about 16 2 gal. batches)here so you base malt will give you roughly 5 beers. I do smaller batches so that gives me huge variety,but feel free to do this with 2.5 gallon batches or something.

Ive gotten over 300# of grains in group buys in the last 6 months. What you want depends on what beer styles you like. I like IPAs and English Ales in general. I'd prioritize with:
1. 2-row, use for most things
2. Maris otter - awesome and can be used in many beers. I would almost prioritize this over 2-row!
3. If you like hefe's, Witt, ... Wheat or flaked wheat. Or maybe Vienna, Or maybe Munich? Gets though to choose here.
4. I found myself going to the lhbs for crystal 60 quite often. You definitely don't need a sack, but 4-5 pounds would be nice. Same for carapils (but you can sub flaked wheat for head retention).

Hope this helps!

so im thinking a sack or two of 2 row. some crystal 60l and another maybe 120l? vienna and victory. 10 to 20 lb of each. then some others I have specific beers in mind for.

now where to buy them from.

Where is the cheapest place? I mean downright least expensive with shipping to a remote place like WV?

I was gonna go with austin because they have free shipping over a hundred bucks but they make it up in their prices. Still they may be the best place.

I need hops too. I just ordered a stainless IC from amazon and a grain mill from some place that had a deal on one.

Im wanting to get all this stuff by next weekend. So I'm open to all advice. Just can't wait on group buys... but they never happen near me anyway.

Thanks for the advice and I'd really appreciate some more

+1 for Marris otter or Pale Ale malt for your 2nd bag. Shoot, I'd even consider skipping 2-row and getting both Marris & Pale Ale.

Crystal 60 is very versatile. Vienna is also a great choice. Less is more with crystal 120 - very easy to overdo it.

+1 for Marris otter or Pale Ale malt for your 2nd bag. Shoot, I'd even consider skipping 2-row and getting both Marris & Pale Ale.

Crystal 60 is very versatile. Vienna is also a great choice. Less is more with crystal 120 - very easy to overdo it.

Hey, you and I know whats good! :)

If I was forced to decide between only having MO and 2-row, I'd go with MO. Makes awesome brews. Things I make with MO always seem to go fast. And as you said, with things like c120, chocolate, ... a little goes a long way.

We should have the best overall delivered price.

Forrest

I have never had a vendor reply. But I'm pretty sure you do. You're site is also easier to navigate. And I like knowing how much stuff is gonna cost me to get without adding it to cart. I'd really like to have a LHBS though. Y'all should expand to WV.

And thanks,
Youll be recieving and order tomorrow.

Thanks copy and ty too. so 2 row and MO some vienna and crystal 60 is what I need. and some for specific recipes

Back