Transporting Full Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANtheDINOSAUR

Reaction score
In a couple weeks, my dad and I are going to start up a brew, he being a hobbyist a few years back and me picking it up. The thing is he lives across the county (40-some miles) and he has the best work area to brew, but we figured it would be best for me to finish it up back at my home.

I'm aware that no harm can be done if I'll be moving a full carboy freshly brewed, but I'm seeking any knowledge toward securing the carboy in my car.

Much thanks in advance!

leave it there and go back at bottling take the bottles home.

otherwise wedge it in as tight as possible, behind passenger seat.

If you need to transport do this:

Seal the carboy full of un-pitched wort. This is easiest if you have a bucket, can use a lid with no holes.

Stick the carboy in the passenger seat with a towel beneath it, and buckle up. In case is splashes you are somewhat covered.

Unload at home, pitch the yeast, and let it ride.

I have done this before. Worked fine. However, if you can leave it at the original brewing location then that is ideal.

Strap it to the roof on its side. Better yet...don't strap. Do the ghetto transporting-a-mattress-hand-on-it method. The additional aeration will be very beneficial to it and your left arm will be ripped up like carpet bombed cemeteries.

Pull one of the rear set belts all the way out like you are strapping a child seat in and strap the carboy in.

or find a milk crate, place the carboy in that, and then fasten the milk crate securely (more attachment points, less "slip")

or find a milk crate, place the carboy in that, and then fasten the milk crate securely (more attachment points, less "slip")

That's what I did! I put the carboy in a milk crate, and buckled it in the passenger's side. I drove carefully, as I didn't want to have a small accident and deploy my airbags but it stayed put and it was easy to lift in and out in the milk crate.

I say a snug fitting cardboard box and a seatbelt. If your GF, mom, dad, or friends are in the car, the carboy gets the front seat and everyone else has to sit in the back. And make sure your passenger airbag is on!

Oh, and make sure you just take the cooled wort home with you. Don't pitch at dad's house before the journey. Pitch yeast at your house after the journey. If you get pulled over on the trip, you have 5 gallons of sugar water :)

Can you imagine the carnage if you got into a car accident with a carboy in the vehicle with you? If that thing broke and the glass went flying it could be really bad. I think a bucket with a lid would be a much better choice.

how about like a keg bucket. Brew at your dad's house, add about 30 lbs of ice and the carboy to the keg bucket, then chill during your 40 minute ride. 30lbs of ice and a carboy in a bucket wedged/belted into the front seat isn't going anywhere.

It would be ready to pitch when you got home! Nice sychronicity!

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/pumps/kegjackets/R4219.shtml

Back