Spirit of Free Beer - MD/DC/VA Annual Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Reaction score
The metropolitan Washington DC (DC/MD/VA) area's largest amateur homebrew competition, and an annual tradition since 1992 sponsored by Brewers United for Real Potables. Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) qualified judges, who provide entrants with quality feedback in the form of written evaluations containing suggestions for improvement.

Submittals due by: May 7, 2011
Judging: May 14, 2011

Check the site for entrant info:
http://brew.burp.org/Events/SpiritofFreeBeer2011.aspx

Just Registered last night! Looking forward to this competition. Any other HBTers entered? I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk on this thread

Awesome. I will be doing Stewarding for the event. Wish you all good luck. BURP has been around for 30 years, yea thats a long time and the long time members are really easy to talk to and willing to share. The club's monthly meetings are like mini brew and food fests.

Sheldon

submitals have closed. We had 530 beers entered. This is the most. Its gona keep the judges busy next weekend. Good luck to all that entered.

Congrats! My premium american got 1st place in Light Lager. This was my first competition so I'm psyched about it.

Didn't make the top four in my categories, looks like i will have to painfully wait for the scoresheets!

@strat_thru_marshall - the light hybrid being the panhandle blonde in your recipes dropdown?

@strat_thru_marshall - the light hybrid being the panhandle blonde in your recipes dropdown?

No, I've been tweaking my house blonde ale recipe since then due to the fact that Amarillo is expensive and in short supply.

heres the recipe of the one I submitted, we (wife and I) burn through a 5 gallon keg about every two weeks...this is an AWESOME session beer. The step mash makes it ferment out crisp and dry, and the hop character comes through wonderfully.

12 Gallon Batch (fills 2 5 gallon cornies after equipment/racking losses)
OG 1.048
FG 1.010
IBU 25
Color 5 Srm

85% Pilsner Malt
10% Munich Type 1 Malt
5% Crystal 10L

45g Cascade @ 60
50g Cascade @ 15
50g Cascade @ 5

Mash: Protein Rest - 122F for 15 mins, Beta rest @ 149 for 45 mins, Alpha rest @158 for 20 mins.

90 min boil, ferment 14 days, crash cool, filter, keg carb and drink.

Congrats. I was there for the judging and it was a scene to behold. So many beers, and I got to sample a bunch too :)

My hefe got a 3rd place in the German wheat/rye category.

There must have been a lot of great beers in this competition. I had some high scores for beers that didn't even place.

Overall a very well run competition with very quick feedback!

Congrats! I was able to sneak in and get and Honorable Mention with my mild. My helles did not fair well, but I knew it wouldn't going into it. I am amazed at how quickly results and scoresheets are posted/returned with this comp. It def makes it worth it

I guess I resurrected this post. I was reading it after I did a search and didn't realize it was for last years competition until just now. :)

BURP does a great job at getting the scoresheets back quickly. This was my best competition yet. My Saison placed 2nd in Belgian French Ales and my Triple took 2nd in Belgian Strong. Couldn't believe it, really excited.

brew happy said:
BURP does a great job at getting the scoresheets back quickly. This was my best competition yet. My Saison placed 2nd in Belgian French Ales and my Triple took 2nd in Belgian Strong. Couldn't believe it, really excited.

Good show, brew happy!

I posted this elsewhere, but it bears repeating--BURP is on point!!! Judging Saturday, rankings online Sunday, and scoresheets via e-mail less than 24 hours after. And that with over 500 entries. Well done, BURP! Well, done!

I'll be submitting again next year for sure!

Picked up my medals and prizes this last weekend. Wow! I can't believe the prizes they give out. For one I got a 25' immersion chiller, 1 Glass4Beer, a shirt, a Delerium Bar Towel, 4oz of Delta Hops, and other random stuff. For the other I got $75 in gift certificates from Dogfishhead Alehouse, more shirts, another Delerium towel, Dogfish My Antonia, Dogfish opener and pint glass, 4 oz of Zythos Hops. I'm blown away by all the swag! I can tell you one thing, I'm always entering the SOFB! I've never got a thing from any other competition. Not that I enter for prizes but it sure is nice!

Back