More air space for 22 ounce bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalliwag

Reaction score
I guess I could not figure out a good wording for a search but I could not find anything.
I bottled my first batch yesterday. A friend of mine gave me 3 cases of 22 oz. bottles. I remembered seeing a link to a vid from here that said you want about an inch of air space from the top when you cap. It did not occur to me until now that this guy was doing 12 oz. bottles.
I don't want to make any assumptions that could lead to exploding bottles. Did I screw up?

I tend to leave a LITTLE bit more headspace in 22oz bombers. If nothing else, when you remove the bottling wand, there's a bit more than an inch of room left over from the displacement of the wand. I can't imagine that a small variation would make much difference.

Plus, IIRC, overcarbing occurs if there is TOO MUCH headspace, not too little. Don't ask me why, I might wager a guess that less beer in the bottle leaves less beer to absorb CO2 to be absorbed. I wouldn't wager any money on this, but it seems that I read about the headspace issue and I recall the answer was the opposite of what my expectation would be.

No, you didn't screw up. Having an inch of head space in any size bottle will be just fine. I mostly keg my beers now, but occasionally I will bottle a batch and use 16 oz flip top bottles. I fill the bottles to the very top with my bottling wand. When I pull the bottling wand out, it leaves just about an inch, or maybe just a little bit more, of head space.

John

Thanks guys! I bought a couple of corny kegs and have my CO2 tank and reg and I was really close to kegging. But the mini-fridge I have is an older Sanyo with the freezer compartment that is a little too low for the corny and is going to require some tweaking.

I may take some pics and post a thread for some advice on trying to set that up. For the long haul I am building a kegerator to look like an antique icebox and I don't won't to buy another mini-fridge in the meantime.

Back