First Post: Airlock water has dripped into my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goinggreen

Reaction score
I have been checking the smell of my brew over the past week by pressing on the lid of my fermenting bucket and releasing some pressure. I just realized that the water in the airlock has been dripping down into the wort when I do this.

Do you think this is a problem? or DWRHAHB?

i wouldnt worry if fermentation has already started since the yeast should out-compete any organisms you introduced via water as well as the residual alcohol that has been produced at this point. A word of advice- many users of this site including myself use either vodka or in my case, starsan water. If suckback occures neither hurt the beer.

Before I drop my airlock cap into the body, (filled with iodophor solution) I tape a string to the top of it and hang over the side of the airlock. Then when I come back to check readings... I just remove the cap by pulling on the string. No vacuum or back flow issues.

I ran out of vodka this last time, so I used tequila. Had a little suckback last night so I'll be interested if there's a hint of tequila flavor when I do a gravity check. Seriously doubt it since it was such a small amount though.

I've been using the 3-piece airlocks only on my carboys and stiffer bodied vessels (like what I use for yeast starters). I use the S-type airlocks on the buckets, because there is much less chance of suckback with the S-type airlocks, and the glass/hard plastic containers don't bend enough to create a enough pressure difference to suckback. I haven't had any suckback issues since I started doing it this way.

How many times do you think I can say suckback in one post?

Back