Housewarming Ale a Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknunns

Reaction score
So my lady friend and I moved in together a couple of months back and I thought it would be cool to make a brew for our housewarming party. Decided to do a pretty simple hopped up pale ale - crystal malt, light LME, Amarillo and Cascade, and WLP001.
First run of the DIY wort chiller on this batch - complete success!
First batch fermented in the carboy instead of the bucket - came home to kreusen in the airlock! Fixed up a quick blow-off tube and the crisis was averted. Won't be making that mistake again.
First batch bottling in the dishwasher - easiest clean up yet!
I was SUPER patient and waited the three weeks for the co2 before taking any samples. Finally cracked one last night... HOLY HELL! It's great! Great aroma, good head retention, beautiful color, and it tastes perfect! I ran around the apartment, found my lady and made her taste it as well. It was met with great enthusiasm! Four batches in and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm gonna do this one again since I have some more LME hanging around and then it's AG time.
Now all I have to do is be patient enough not to drink them all before the party in two weeks!

Awesome! Did you have a full recipe & hopping schedule to share?

• Added 1/2 lb crystal malt to 2.5 gallons spring water and brought up to 165 – 170
  • Removed grain bag and brought tea to a boil
  • Added 3.3 lbs Briess Golden Light LME at 0 minutes
  • Added 1 oz. Amarillo hops at 15 minutes
  • Added 3.3 lbs Briess Golden Light LME at 30 minutes
  • Added 1/2 oz. Cascade hops at 45 minutes
  • Added Wort Chiller to wort at 45 minutes
  • Added 1 tsp Irish moss at 45 minutes
  • Added 1/2 oz. Cascade hops at 55 minutes
  • Added 2.5 gallons room temperature spring water to wort
  • Cooled wort down to Pitching Temp (~70o) – pitched yeast (WLP001)

I kinda just threw together some elements from other recipes I saw on here. Pretty simple stuff! Despite the Amarillo probably being a better aromatic hop it still worked out pretty well. Might reverse the order on the two to see what changes.

Back