Smoked IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried one, or done one?

This is my next project recipe. I'm thinking about using DesertBrews Chaos IPA base, but subbing some of the base malt with home smoked malt.

Any input would be appreciated.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Are you thinking full-on eating burning logs smokey, or "hmm, what's that smokeyness I taste?" smokey?

I'm thinking definitely noticeable. Right now I'm thinking about 5lbs of smoked malt. Maybe more?

I used that as a basis for how I want the smokiness. The smoked porter I did had 5 lbs and I wanted it even more smokey.

Big and bitter, with full smoke. I would say 5 pounds is a good place to tart, but I really can't say without other info. What will the OG be, IBUs?

Chairman Cheyco said:
What kind of hops are you thinking then? You wouldn't want any fruity/citrusyness, eh? I'd think you'll be heading to in the direction of nobles?

Brewpastor said:
Big and bitter, with full smoke. I would say 5 pounds is a good place to tart, but I really can't say without other info. What will the OG be, IBUs?

I want a classic IPA base. I love the looks of DB's Chaos IPA, so I'm going to go with that. I will probably sub the Nugget for what I have here, but I have lots of choices. Prolly warrior.

Here is the Chaos IPA recipe.

You may want to up the smoke right off the bat. If your porter was not smokey enough and it had a bunch of roasted grains in it, it sounds like you'll need more. I know roasted grains aren't smokey, but you'll lose their toasty dryness and you'll want to make up for it. Or do you think that it may go the other way? The smoked malt has no roast to hide behind in an IPA...

Chairman Cheyco said:
You may want to up the smoke right off the bat. If your porter was not smokey enough and it had a bunch of roasted grains in it, it sounds like you'll need more. I know roasted grains aren't smokey, but you'll lose their toasty dryness and you'll want to make up for it. Or do you think that it may go the other way? The smoked malt has no roast to hide behind in an IPA...

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'm half tempted to do the entire base malt as smoked malt. That be 11 pounds, LOL. :rockin:

Calling Pumbaa....tell me about the smoked pale ale in your sig....

I'm leaning towards doing a 50/50 mix of base pale malt and smoked malt. I think the smoke will come through well enough.

SwAMi gave me some alder wood before he left, now I'm keeping an eye out for the sales on smokers as the grilling season winds down....if anyone sees an add anywhere online, please let me know about it.

I can't wait to do this.

Bump for Pumbaa.

Plus I got my smoked beers book by Ray Daniels and Geoffrey Larson (brewer of Alaskan Smoked Porter) today, so now I'll be a smoked beer guru.

Anyone see any deals on smokers?

Does it look like a good book? I will just have to buy it and see what it has to say. Good luck with the smoker. A friend has an electric unit that uses little pucks and automatically feeds them. It make great ribs and such but I think it cost a fortune. I have a Smokey Joe and its OK, I also have a great grill that is long and does a fair job at cool smoking. It is one of those horizontal tube jobs that you see at LOwes and such.

Well, once I find a smoker (or rig my charcoal grill to do it), I'm gonna brew this baby.

I cannot wait. I haven't been this excited for a beer since...the last time I posted a recipe I was excited about. :D

Incinerator IPA
A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.00
Anticipated OG: 1.067 Plato: 16.35
Anticipated SRM: 8.7
Anticipated IBU: 68.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.6 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
7.7 1.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
3.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
3.8 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Warrior Whole 16.00 60.0 60 min.
1.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 8.6 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Notes
-----

6 lbs. of base malt is alder smoked

UGH. I'm outside smoking some grains right now, I smell like a bacon factory. I'm doing a mix of hickory and alder wood for smoking, I set up a makeshift cold smoker rig and I'm doing 3 pounds at a time for about an hour. The grain is turning out really nice, IMHO. It is really smokey--I'm wondering if it would be really easy to overdo the smoke when you do it this way. My inclination is to back down the 6 lbs. of smoked grain to 3. We'll see. My senses are totally shot right now because all I can smell is bacon. Which is a GOOD thing.

Here's the cold smoker (the box goes over the grain pan):

636-smoker.jpg

Are you sure you don't work for NASA? The last time I saw something like that was at Johnson Space Center. :p

Have you checked to see what kinda temps you're seeing in the smoke-box? I'd hate for you to break down the enzymes.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Are you sure you don't work for NASA? The last time I saw something like that was at Johnson Space Center. :p

Have you checked to see what kinda temps you're seeing in the smoke-box? I'd hate for you to break down the enzymes.

LOL....

Yeah, it is definitely cold smoking. The ambient air temp outside right now is 54° F--inside the box it is only 63° F. The actual smoker is reading 200° F.

This is really fun but honestly the smoke is starting to make me sick!!!!

If you really want smoke, peat smoked malt is the way to go. An oz. of that is about the same smoke as a pound of rauch.

Got some sausages in there?

david_42 said:
If you really want smoke, peat smoked malt is the way to go. An oz. of that is about the same smoke as a pound of rauch.

Got some sausages in there?

No way...peat smoked is for Irish whiskey and wee heavy. A real smoked beer is alder!

I actually made steaks for dinner on that grill behind the smoker. Used some mesquite for that. :rockin:

FWIW, my senses are shot--but SWMBO said the smoked grains were INTENSE. I can't decide what to do as far as how much to use. I'm gonna make a smoked grain tea right before brew day and make the decision.

Who knows...REALLY busy with the move. Looks like the streak (at least 1 batch brewed every month since I started this hobby, streak is 22 months long!) will be broken this month. :(

Need to brew soon though. The brewery is completely ready to go actually. Maybe I can squeeze a brew day in towards the end of the month.

Chairman Cheyco said:
Now that your senses have cleared (since smoking day,) how does your rauchmalt compare to commercially available stuff?

I have dubbed it "bacon grain". The rauch malt is MINOR compared to this stuff. The smoke is intense and really has me worried about using too much of it. I think I'm going to use 3 lbs MAX. :mug:

Dude said:
I have dubbed it "bacon grain". The rauch malt is MINOR compared to this stuff. The smoke is intense and really has me worried about using too much of it. I think I'm going to use 3 lbs MAX. :mug:

That's awesome. I can hardly wait to try it myself. Could this be the key to finding the elusive Bacon Beer everyone (BeeGee) dreams about?
:mug:

Chairman Cheyco said:
That's awesome. I can hardly wait to try it myself. Could this be the key to finding the elusive Bacon Beer everyone (BeeGee) dreams about?
:mug:
Took the words out of my mouth as I was reading these posts! I tried a Schlenkerla and didn't like it at all, basically because I guess I don't care for beechwood smoked beer. I was really hoping for bacon beer. Bacon malt sounds great to me. I bet it would go great with nosnhojr's atomic buffalo turds.

I'm really starting to like smoked beers. I'm curious about the smoked IPA, I think of the smoke flavor comingling more with the malt than with the hops, but Dude, you can feel free to send me three bottles of this for the FFB league.

Well, looks like the inaugural brew at the new IOB will be Friday. The Smoked IPA (now dubbed S.O.S.) will finally get brewed!

I have the recipe ready to go and I cannot wait to brew! Seems like it has been forever!

Well, brew day for this is postponed UFN. We are expecting rain all day tomorrow (which isn't a problem anymore with my nice big garage), but we are also expecting high winds close to 40 mph. That doesn't bode well for keeping my burners lit, seeing I'll have to have the garage door open for ventilation. I'll wait until next week when the weather is nice.

I can do some racking and much needed maintenance instead.

Is this finally going to happen? YES!

Brew day is tomorrow, no matter what. I work a 10 hour mid-shift tonight, so depending on how I feel in the morning after work, I'm either brewing or sleeping for a few hours. I am at least going to try to mash in right away in the morning. Then if I can get a 2 hour nap I'll be good to go.

All I know is that I'm dying to brew after a 2 month hiatus.

That must have helped you get over it!

That is a DAMN good beer. I finally cracked mine on my 31st birthday; 10th anniversary of my being able to drink legally. It's like Stone made it just for me!

the_bird said:
That must have helped you get over it!

That is a DAMN good beer. I finally cracked mine on my 31st birthday; 10th anniversary of my being able to drink legally. It's like Stone made it just for me!

LOL...yep!

Essentially, you could come up with an excuse for some kind of 10th anniversary every time.
For example, I drank a Stone 10th Anniversary the other night in honor of the time 10 years ago that I took a dump in that police car sitting in the Food Lion parking lot. :mug:

Dude said:
I drank a Stone 10th Anniversary the other night in honor of the time 10 years ago that I took a dump in that police car sitting in the Food Lion parking lot.

This is by far, the most odd thing I have read in at least two months.

Back