Was thinking about bottling in beer bottles...any thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
Title says it all.

I don't have any wine bottles or corking equipment. Is there any reason for me not to bottle in 22oz beer bottles?

Thanks

Those are great for mean. However, dont use wine bottles. They are not meant to hold pressure. The walls on wine bottles tend to be thin

Beer bottles are what we use. I like using 12 oz bottle because generally mead isn't something that we drink mass quantities at one time.

Those are great for mean. However, dont use wine bottles. They are not meant to hold pressure. The walls on wine bottles tend to be thin
What?? I have over 100 wine bottles full of meads. :rockin:

I use wine bottles all the time, but most of the time it's uncarbonated. :D

I will agree that champagne bottles have thicker walls, but the carbonated ones have never blown...:D

Beer bottles are what we use. I like using 12 oz bottle because generally mead isn't something that we drink mass quantities at one time.

+1
Don't forget that mead is more like wine than beer. You don't want 24 oz of mead at a time. Beer Bottles work great. 2 glasses per bottle, and you can always open a second.

Since I'm almost always drinking by my self, I find the 12 oz. beer bottles great. I don't use the O2 caps, but I know people who do for still meads.

Piggybacking onto this thread.....
I've always used beer bottles for mead (it's easy, I have many, and they hold carbonation for those fruity meads.).
I see many people use wine bottles.

How tight does the cork really have to fit into the bottle? Once the ABV is at 15% or so, can you use a "loose" cork? I am thinking specifically about all of the hard liquor bottles I recycle that have cork tops, I wonder if I can put still mead in them. For those not familiar, the corks are not designed to hold any pressure at all, but appear to pretty much lock out any gas exchange as long as you don't transport across large elevation changes.

Do you guys use the O2 absorbing caps with beer bottles?

I don't. never had a problem.

i've also used plenty of wine bottles, and some were accidentally sparkling, but just barely. I consider myself lucky there.

If its truly a still mead, you could top the bottles off more...leave little headspace.

Latest posts

Back