Wyeast 1187 (Ringwood)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
Doing a Magic hat #9 clone and pitched this Saturday (no starter). This is the first time using this yeast and really slow. Small krausen formed about 20 hours after pitching and has been held at 68 degrees. By tuesday the krausen settled back down. I read that the profile is slow start and slow ferment but what's everyone elses experience with this? I'm use to my beers taking off and pretty strong fermentation. I'll do gravity check this weekend but considering pitching another packet....thoughts?

Definitely a slow starter every time I've used it. I saw no activity for 48 hours the last 3 times I used it (1 smack pack, no starter). It does make a delicious beer.

1187 is a pretty weird yeast and one i'm experimenting with a lot right now. it needs a lot of oxygen. with a starter it seems to rage like nothing else i've ever seen but then finish slowly unless you constantly rouse the yeast. i would go take a gravity reading and probably rouse the yeast (swirl the bucket). be careful about bottling unless you see 75% attenuation or more.

if it is 50% or so attenuated, i would recommend moving it somewhere a bit warmer if you can.

Glad to know others see a slow start. i can definitely warm it up, i have it in a swamp cooler right now that holds pretty much dead on at 68 with 1 frozen water bottle a day - says 64-72 so figured that was a good number but i can definitely raise it a bit. I'll do the gravity tonight and then go from there. Thanks guys.

I've used it in a pale ale with a starter. It got going really quickly, but unfortuantely for me, it was in the middle of a heatwave and the a/c went off. It did the first 72 hours around 78 - I had a lot of off flavors and I'm thinking of dumping the batch. Once the vigorous fermentation gets going, try to keep it below 70.

I've used it in a pale ale with a starter. It got going really quickly, but unfortuantely for me, it was in the middle of a heatwave and the a/c went off. It did the first 72 hours around 78 - I had a lot of off flavors and I'm thinking of dumping the batch. Once the vigorous fermentation gets going, try to keep it below 70.

Most of the diacetyl should fade. Not sure what else it might taste like, though. How long has it been in primary?

Latest posts

Back