I hate dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trizzle

Reaction score
OK how is it that EVERY Time I use DME it boils over?! With LME I never boil over. I don't get it. Does anyone else have this issue? And when they say don't turn ur back, they are serious! I literally turned just my torso around to grab my stir stick and when I came back to the pot, the crap was EVERYWHERE!!! And it's very hard to add a little at a time. Because with the steam, the stuff gums up everything! Ugh. Just had to get that off my chest.

if you have a pitcher, just add some hot tap water, and mix the dme into that. you wont need that much water, and if it throws off your volumes, just boil for a bit longer.

Yeah, DME does that if you aren't very careful. Never EVER add it with the heat on for one. Always turn off the flame and slowly add it in while stirring. Even then after resuming heat you need to be careful. It's always wise to have a spray bottle of cold water immediately on hand, even with all grain brewing, so if the foam ever starts getting up near the top you can spray it which will dissipate the foam.

Cleaning it off your stove is even worse...

Rev.

+1 to the fermcap. And to the all grain, but I see the attraction of partial mash.
Those aside I would think your best bet is to turn the heat off when you add the dme, then bring back to a boil

I do brew all grain, but some of my most favorite recipes are partial. And I'll look into the fermcap! Thanks guys!!!!

How bout add the DME when the temp is about 150, it's what I do and seriously reduces the boil over affect. And yes, turn off the heat to add the DME so you don't burn it while you get it mixed in

Toy4Rick

I'm not sure saying to just go all grain is particularly helpful. +1 to the spray bottle of water and turn off the flame/move off coil if you are on an electric stove. Having a bigger pot really helps, and you can get one cheap with a turkey fryer kit.

I've had boil overs with all grain. It's just easier to clean my driveway afterward. With dme though I just pick up the pot from the burner and the foam dissipates. But I only boil dme for my starters.

Ondori said:
I have thought about trying this. Does it work well? I have issues with boilover because I went with a 8 gallow brew kettle when I first started, and I tend to brew bigger beers. I regret it, should have went with a 10 :(

I don't use it personally. I have a 10.5 gallon kettle so I don't need it. A friend in my homebrew club raves about it. He says it is amazing how well it works.

Another fan of fermcap-style foam preventers here. Got some from my LHBS to make starters easier without boilovers, and lo and behold it works great (like 7.5 gal in an 8 gal pot, no foam at all great) in the full boil as well.

I only just discovered that an additional 2 drops per gallon helps tame kraeusen during fermentation too, so I'll be trying that with my RIS brew tomorrow.

-Rich

Another fan of fermcap-style foam preventers here. Got some from my LHBS to make starters easier without boilovers, and lo and behold it works great (like 7.5 gal in an 8 gal pot, no foam at all great) in the full boil as well.

I only just discovered that an additional 2 drops per gallon helps tame kraeusen during fermentation too, so I'll be trying that with my RIS brew tomorrow.

-Rich

I've used Baby Gas Drops from Wally World, same as Fermcap but cheaper. And just listening to an episode of Brew Strong where they say that it actually improves head retention....

My very first boil of extract brewing boiled over. Every since then 6 - 8 drops of Fermcap for 5 gallons FTMFW!!! (Oh and psssttt all grain or gtfo :-D)

Back