Need quick advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenIke

Reaction score
My second brew ever... I brewed a DME kit porter on saturday w/ Windsor yeast. I was sure something went wrong and fermentation didnt take place. I was ready to re-pitch the yeast, but when I opened the bucket there was evidence of fermentation~ crud up the sides maybe 3 inches. My first batch had crub up the top and out of the airlock.

I took the gravity and it comes in around 1.03. I started around 1.06.

Should I still add the extra yeast I bought? Sit tight?

Help!:confused:

Sounds like you're good, just close it back up and sit tight. Every brew is different.

I did the same thing this morning with a Wit I brewed this weekend. No airlock activity after 72 hours, so I popped the top expecting to have to pitch some US-05 I keep as a backup. But instead I saw some krausen and got a harsh whiff of CO2 when I stuck my head in there.

What made you think it wasn't fermenting? No bubbles in the airlock? Could just be the bucket wasn't completely sealed and the C02 was escaping elsewhere.

1.030 is still pretty high. It's only been 4 days man, just close up the bucket and give it another 5-7 days. Check the gravity again. If it's still at 1.030 then either there's not much left but unfermentables or your yeast could be stalled. Either way, just relax. Your beer will be fine.

What made you think it wasn't fermenting? No bubbles in the airlock? Could just be the bucket wasn't completely sealed and the C02 was escaping elsewhere.

Yeah, mostly the airlock and my previous brew which was much more vigorous. I called the brew shop and the guy told me that it can't hurt to add the extra yeast, so I went ahead and tossed it in. Hope that works out...

Back