Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
Is mead a slow fermenter? I started a batch yesterday and this morning I didn't notice any action on my vapor lock

depends... Did you use energizer, or nutrient in the fermenter? Did you make a starter? What kind of yeast did you use? What kind of ingredients did you use?

All these factore have a role in how fast the fermentation starts.

however, I am sure that the fermentation will be fine. Sometimes it just takes longer than others.

Yeast needs to acclimate to thier enviroment and there is always a lag time before they start to aggressivly eat the sugars.

If after 4 or 5 days nothing happens, then I would be concerned.

Ok good, that's all I needed to hear. All the products I used were really good quality, so I'm not that concerned.

Ok good, that's all I needed to hear. All the products I used were really good quality, so I'm not that concerned.
Quality ? hum? that should be considered relative......and best dealt with by Robert Prisig in his book "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance".

Relative, because you can make meads with any honey, but "quality" is often meant by a nice tasting, raw honey. Completely unchanged from its natural state.

Excellent to read you batch is progressing. Well done.

Touché, I know it's all about the end result. I just figure quality in quality out, and I know I went completely textbook on this. But I will post updates shortly. She's going rather nicely now, it just concerned me because the ciders I previously did would be in a rapid ferment within 6 hours or so, this is my first mead.

Back