Graphics Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twgardner2

Reaction score
Do most of y'all use Photoshop for your labels? Does anyone know of any free software available on the web that is good for creating/editing images, i.e. making beer labels?

Thanks a lot - Tom

Twgardner2 I use free software called inkscape. Go to inkscape.org to download...lots of youtube tutorials out there

Thanks everyone! :mug: I'm excited to check these out and start making my beer look as good as it tastes :D

t making my beer look as good as it tastes :D

Ha, twgardner2, that's close to our slogan, "We make your beer look as good as it tastes!"

What's the name of your brewery? Those styles/flavors you mention in your sig sound good! :mug:

Ha, twgardner2, that's close to our slogan, "We make your beer look as good as it tastes!"

What's the name of your brewery? Those styles/flavors you mention in your sig sound good! :mug:

I've got a couple of ideas. I think I'm down to Amateur Hour Brewing or Bush League Brewing. The problem with the latter is that I think all the beers would have to have baseball related names. I actually have a long list of good baseball beer names, but I don't know if I want to pigeon-hole myself like that.

GIMP - Photoshop like photo editing but free
Scribus - InDesign like page layout and design but free

+1 on GIMP...the "free photoshop" It has a high learning curve, especially for people who are not familiar with editing software, but it is really a powerful program and improves every year.

Another Gimp +1. That and lots of YouTube tutorials for text and other effects and yer rolling. Find the script-fu plug-in for some cool effects.

So I've been playing around with Inkscape and so far, I'm loving it. Here are my first two attempts:

Plinian_Eruption_test_1.png

Plinian_Eruption_test_2.png

I'll try to check out Gimp if I can find the time. Thanks everyone!

I'm admittedly bad at labels, but Neato's own software (Mediaface) isn't that bad if you are buying their labels. The good thing is that it's layer-based and it fits their templates perfectly (they have a beer template that I use for 12oz bottles and wine template that I use for bombers or Belgians).

It's nowhere near as powerful as Gimp, Inkscape, PS, Illustrator, etc., but it's pretty easy to use if you buy Neato labels.

FYI to folks posting photoshop as a favorite program-original question was asking for free software

Photoshop can be free if you know how to get it... :D

To any Feds out there reading this... my copy is completely legit and paid for! lol

He he! No but seriously... I do a lot of graphic design on the side and I've tried a lot of programs. I feel photoshop has the most features. Now I know it is super expensive... but there are options. Those of you looking for this program, do you have any friends or family that are students, staff or faculty at a University? If you do, have them check with their software/computer center. I know here at Pitt as a staff I was able to get a huge discount on Photoshop. So I bought it! Good luck finding those deals everyone!

Photoshop must be up to version 100 by now. I think the last one I have kicking around somewhere is 5. I wonder if the old versions will still work with winblows 7?

Back