Immersion Chiller Resting on Center Pick-up Tube...Problem??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a center pickup tube in their BK, and use an immersion chiller that rests on top of it?? I want to get a false bottom and center pick-up tube for my BK, but I don't want to make the investment for a CFC at the moment.

I was thinking about just doing it, then adding the chiller during the last 5-10 minutes as usual, and carefully resting it on the pickup tube. Would the liquid in the kettle displace most of the weight??

Thanks!

I cant imagine your IC is THAT heavy. You should be just fine, although you could bend the in/out tubes so it hangs off the side of your kettle.

My pickup tube is stainless steel.

I wasn't worried about anything actually breaking. Was just wondering if it would disturb the seal between the fittings on the inside of the keg

If your pickup is touching the bottom of the kettle, there shouldn't be any significant torque applied to your fittings. You will get a lot of trub through the pickup, but that us a different matter.

Back