Colorado Millet Malting Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBF

Reaction score
Monday January 24, 2011 Colorado Malting Company and the Colorado Department of Agriculture finalized their agreement to proceed with the Colorado Millet Malting Project. This project includes Colorado Malting Company utilizing a grant from the Colorado Dept. of Ag. that will allow the company to experiment with three different varieties of Colorado grown millet. This project is expected to begin the first week in February 2011 and will deliver gluten free, 100 percent locally grown and malted millet into the hands of professional brewers all around the state of Colorado. The project should be completed by the last week of May of 2011 and hopes are high that it will not only create new malt markets, but that it will inspire new and exciting beers, as well as creating new markets for the millet farmers of Northern Colorado. Owners of Colorado Malting Company have expressed their excitement about the project and look forward to working hard to develop some original products for Colorado Brewers.

Colorado has a great advantage in the beer market, as they do not only have the fastest growing and largest micro brewing market in the nation, but they also have an all local malt company. This allows Colorado to produce some amazing beers, in which the final product has, literally, the flavors of its own region. As the project approaches its beginning stages, hopes are high that new markets and products will be created and that Colorado will continue to forge ahead toward success and originality in the micro brewing industry.

http://www.coloradomaltingcompany.c...-malting-project&catid=44:whats-new&Itemid=61

Monday January 24, 2011 Colorado Malting Company and the Colorado Department of Agriculture finalized their agreement to proceed with the Colorado Millet Malting Project. This project includes Colorado Malting Company utilizing a grant from the Colorado Dept. of Ag. that will allow the company to experiment with three different varieties of Colorado grown millet. This project is expected to begin the first week in February 2011 and will deliver gluten free, 100 percent locally grown and malted millet into the hands of professional brewers all around the state of Colorado. The project should be completed by the last week of May of 2011 and hopes are high that it will not only create new malt markets, but that it will inspire new and exciting beers, as well as creating new markets for the millet farmers of Northern Colorado. Owners of Colorado Malting Company have expressed their excitement about the project and look forward to working hard to develop some original products for Colorado Brewers.

Colorado has a great advantage in the beer market, as they do not only have the fastest growing and largest micro brewing market in the nation, but they also have an all local malt company. This allows Colorado to produce some amazing beers, in which the final product has, literally, the flavors of its own region. As the project approaches its beginning stages, hopes are high that new markets and products will be created and that Colorado will continue to forge ahead toward success and originality in the micro brewing industry.

http://www.coloradomaltingcompany.c...-malting-project&catid=44:whats-new&Itemid=61

Who wants to pose as a professional brewer from Colorado?

Yeah, if it was open to breweries in Chicago, I'd be calling them up right now. Give me the grain and I'll give you whatever recipe I come up with.

I sent them an email, thanking them for taking on the challenge and asking if they'd consider selling millet malt to homebrewers. They said it it should be availible this summer.

i wonder what they would do if all uf us from the GF subsection of this forum were to send them a thank you email

i wonder what they would do if all uf us from the GF subsection of this forum were to send them a thank you email

I sent them an email saying that if the stuff goes up for sale, I'd love to know, and thanking them for their efforts.

We have a bulk buy in the works with CMC https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/denver-cmc-group-grain-buy-234282/

We asked and Jason indicated that the millet will not be available until July. I got the impression that they are still working to get the malt right, and meet the requirements of the grant. I am sure that when he gets everything in order the millet can be purchased by anyone willing to pay for the shipping.

I will be ordering at least 25 lbs, but probably 50 lbs. I have 1 sister, one of her daughters, one cousin and her daughter that have varying levels of celiac and I am looking forward to something besides sorghum for their Christmas brews.

We have a bulk buy in the works with CMC https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/denver-cmc-group-grain-buy-234282/

I will be ordering at least 25 lbs, but probably 50 lbs. I have 1 sister, one of her daughters, one cousin and her daughter that have varying levels of celiac and I am looking forward to something besides sorghum for their Christmas brews.

I can easily see myself ordering 50lbs. The question is whether to order more than that. I'd like to know it works before commiting to 100 lbs, but I'd hate to find out millet malt was a one time thing. Although, I could always just eat the stuff. It wouldn't be a complete loss.

I got a very nice reply to my email, informing me that they think they'll be shipping in July and that they're adding me to the list of people to contact when it is becomes available.

Awesome!

I might need a bigger pot...

Sent an email too.

I agree about a test batch of sorts before commiting to a large purchase. I'll have plenty of time to give a hand when they start selling to homebrewers.

I got my hands on 150 lbs of this millet from colorado malting company and it is so awesome. They don't sell to homebrewers but i had a brewery order it for me. I sent their email to Northern brewer, Midwest supplies and annapolis homebrew. I am hoping that they will stock it so homebrewers can purchase.
Colorado malting co only sells 100 lb bags and must have a license.

whats the 100lb bag run?? i might have to try ans sweet talk the brew pub here to pick it up for me... but 100lbs. le holy s...t

Latest posts

Back