Please post AHS Hopslam Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_al_in_k-zoo

Reaction score
I'd love to brew hoplsam. Been reading the threads and came accross a few recipes. Some stated before that Austin Homebrew Supply had a GREAT recipe. I don't want to spend $57.49 plus shipping on a recipe blindly. I wrote them and asked if I could get a copy of it before buying, just to scan it over, and got a reply of "NO".

So just curious if anyone on Homebrewtalk has bought it, and wouldn't mind posting it for a fellow brewer!

Thanks!

So why would we screw Forrest? (owner of AHS). If you want his recipe...pay for it. Otherwise check out some of the other clones on this site for free....

Buy kits from Northern Brewer if you want to see the recipes beforehand.

You live in there back yard, why dont you go to the brewery and talk to a brewer/assistant brewer there? They probably will not give it to you in a 5 gallon back break down but I believe they would share the break down of the grains and hops they use. Take that and play around with beersmith or beer tools pro.

Just my 2 cents.

Chromados

AHS is a great shop, you should support them and buy the kit if you want it.

I totally understand them not wanting to give the recipe away for free...I mean, they had to put time and effort into researching and cloning the beer. It's not like they were just handed a new kit to sell...they had to do the hard part.

If you want to clone the beer, either do the research and try to do it on your own or buy their recipe! Or email the CYB guys...they might get to it eventually!

I have a suspicion that, like Stone and Arrogant Bastard, Bell's will be pretty tight-lipped about Hopslam. The fact that it's such a coveted beer, and they only release it once a year, is a pretty strong indication that they're really controlling this one's hype. It's not like they couldn't get the ingredients and make this year round.

You live in there back yard, why dont you go to the brewery and talk to a brewer/assistant brewer there? They probably will not give it to you in a 5 gallon back break down but I believe they would share the break down of the grains and hops they use. Take that and play around with beersmith or beer tools pro.

Just my 2 cents.

Chromados

+1 That's what I did when my neighbor asked if I could brew a clone of Kona's Big Wave Golden Ale. I sent them an email and received a reply back from Rich Tucciarone (Kona's Brewmaster). He said he couldn't give me the actual recipe but he did provide me with the grain bill, hops used (what/when), and the numbers they shoot for. Plugged it in to BeerSmith and played around with it till I got really close. It's still carbing but the sample was awesome. Good luck!

Trace

Bell's website said:
Starting with six different hop varietals added to the brew kettle & culminating with a massive dry-hop addition of Simcoe hops, Bell's Hopslam Ale possesses the most complex hopping schedule in the Bell's repetoire. Selected specifically because of their aromatic qualities, these Pacific Northwest varieties contribute a pungent blend of grapefruit, stone fruit, and floral notes. A generous malt bill and a solid dollop of honey provide just enough body to keep the balance in check, resulting in a remarkably drinkable rendition of the Double India Pale Ale style.

SG - 1.087
ABV - 10%

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something based on their description...

whutever said:
+1 That's what I did when my neighbor asked if I could brew a clone of Kona's Big Wave Golden Ale. I sent them an email and received a reply back from Rich Tucciarone (Kona's Brewmaster). He said he couldn't give me the actual recipe but he did provide me with the grain bill, hops used (what/when), and the numbers they shoot for. Plugged it in to BeerSmith and played around with it till I got really close. It's still carbing but the sample was awesome. Good luck!

Trace

Would you mind posting the kona stuff you were given/ came up with?

Would you mind posting the kona stuff you were given/ came up with?

Sure, below is the email I got from their Brewmaster Rich. I'll post what I came up with as soon as I figure out how to export it from BeerSmith.

Aloha Trace,

Mahalo for the compliments & glad you enjoy Big Wave! All our specific recipes are proprietary, but I can definitely give you some pointers/hints.

Malt is 2-row and Gambrinus Honey Malt. Hops are Warrior & Millenium for bittering (although you can substitute another high alpha hop if you like), Willamette & Hallertau for flavor/aroma.

Our targets:

OG 12.5 P

IBU 18
ABV 5.3%

Color 7.0 L (finished beer)

Ale yeast

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Cheers,

Rich

Rich Tucciarone, Brewmaster
Kona Brewing Company

Just my 2 cents.

Chromados

I agree, become a regular there, get to know the brewer, make sure you know what you are talking about, promise not to publish the recipe. Get a look at the brew sheet, do your own conversions. Go back and ask questions if you need.. but make it intelligent,and... make sure you don't publish the recipe.

Unfortunately all of the Bell's kits are no longer available from AHS for purchasing. Damn shame and I wonder why all the kit's are gone? Anyone have insight into this?

There's a good amount of info on the Hopslam cloning attempts already, right here on HBT. Google search is your friend.;)

Unfortunately all of the Bell's kits are no longer available from AHS for purchasing. Damn shame and I wonder why all the kit's are gone? Anyone have insight into this?

All of the Bell's kits are still available, just under a different name. Hopslam is now Hopdunk.

Forrest

You didn't see the article about Bell's threatening Northerbrewer with litigation for their 3 hearted clone?

Back