Ever heard of stale CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moutard12

Reaction score
Hey all-

I kegged my first keg of beer ( that sounds repetitive ) this past week. I cleaned and sanitized all the lines and keg before transfering the beer over. I acquired a CO2 tank from a friend that I am using. However, this tank has been sitting for maybe a year without any use. The beer is now properly carb'd, but almost has a stale gas taste (almost like freezer burn) when you it first hits your mouth, but finish nicely after. Could this be because of the old CO2, or is it something else? FWIW, I just noticed this tonight on day 5 of it being kegged, the beer tasted fine on days 2 and 3. Thanks!

I would think CO2 is the same ten thousand years later, the tank may have introduced a metallic aroma to it. I don't know for sure, never have heard of it, just my .02

I would think that when you run that charge out and recharge it would go away.

CO2 can't go stale. Stale is just another word for oxidized, no oxygen no oxidation.

However, what was your process for filling the keg? Purge with CO2 beforehand? Fill all the way to the top? 1/2 way?

Just thought about something. Is all your kegging equipment new? Do you think it could just be some residue from all those various hoses, gaskets and assorted odds and ends?

CO2 can't go stale. Stale is just another word for oxidized, no oxygen no oxidation.

However, what was your process for filling the keg? Purge with CO2 beforehand? Fill all the way to the top? 1/2 way?

Just thought about something. Is all your kegging equipment new? Do you think it could just be some residue from all those various hoses, gaskets and assorted odds and ends?

I washed the keg, then sanitized it. Then I filled it with CO2 and used that to dispense the sanitizer to clean the lines. Other then that, I just racked from the secondary to the keg. I don't know if that would be considered purging it. All the kegging equipment is new (minus the used kegs, which were thoroughly cleaned).

This has happened to me twice. No one believes me. I noticed my C02 was very low and I planned on getting a fill up. I let it go until it was empty. The taste had a quick downturn starting the next day. I just thought that sub-par sanitation on my part was the culprit. When it happened a second time, I took notice. I never use the final inch or so left on the guage of the tank. I open it up outside and let it go. I have no scientific evidence on this, but I just won't use 100% of a C02 tank again.

Conehead

CO2 can't be oxidized any further, it is already in its most oxidixed form. If you filled your keg with CO2 witout purging out the air, you left a lot of oxygen in the headspace of the keg that could be the cause of your problem. Also, if the rubber seals in the used keg were not replaced they will release flavors into the beer, even if you clean them multiple times since the flavors are absorbed into the rubber.

Conehead, I have run out my CO2 tank a lot of times, and never noticed a taste difference. I can't account for what might have caused your problem, since everything in the tank should be well mixed from the start to the finish of the tank. I'm not implying your observations are wrong, just that I have had a different experience.

I understand what everyone is saying. It is just one of those odd things I do as a homebrewer.

CO2 can't be oxidized any further, it is already in its most oxidixed form. If you filled your keg with CO2 witout purging out the air, you left a lot of oxygen in the headspace of the keg that could be the cause of your problem. Also, if the rubber seals in the used keg were not replaced they will release flavors into the beer, even if you clean them multiple times since the flavors are absorbed into the rubber.

Conehead, I have run out my CO2 tank a lot of times, and never noticed a taste difference. I can't account for what might have caused your problem, since everything in the tank should be well mixed from the start to the finish of the tank. I'm not implying your observations are wrong, just that I have had a different experience.

Interesting. The kegs were part of Midwest's used 2 keg kit, but I used my friends CO2 tank. The kegs were "reconditioned" and I assumed that meant new seals. I suppose I could be wrong though.

It could be your beer is not ready. Some of my brews will have a "dusty" taste for the first 2 weeks or so. I use the set it about 10-12 and leave it method. What carb method did you use? crazy high then drop down or set it and let it do its work.

It could be your beer is not ready. Some of my brews will have a "dusty" taste for the first 2 weeks or so. I use the set it about 10-12 and leave it method. What carb method did you use? crazy high then drop down or set it and let it do its work.

I force carb'd it. However, this beer was in the primary for 3 weeks, and secondary for 3 weeks. Seems like it should be ready? It tasted fine on day 2 and 3, just after that. I'm going to let it sit regardless, as its not going to get any worse (well maybe, but it still wouldn't be drinkable).

Back