Kegs for AG brewing...Which are stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Curious if anyone knows which kegs, if all kegs today, are stainless steel. My future project will be to make a sweet AG brew station and would like to find kegs if I can to use. Where can I get stainless steel and/or all kegs today stainless? Any websites too that have them available for a good price? Thanks!

Most if not all kegs today are stainless. As for finding used legal kegs, try a local or nearby brewery to see if they have decommissioned kegs for sale. You can usually find a few of questionable legality on craigslist as well.

Keg Ethics 101: Mr. Wizard

The wise one answers your homebrewing questions.

Dear Mr. Wizard,
I recently have acquired a keg from a buddy at work. I’m not sure where he got it, but I was wondering if I should pay a welder to cut the top off the keg or if I can do it myself? Also, to add a spigot, does that have to be welded on the keg or could I use something else instead of welding?
Jeremy Sherman
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Mr. Wizard Responds: Jeremy, this sort of question comes about once a year and when I answer I always “beat up” the questioner . . . so I hope you’re a good sport! Okay, just so I understand, your buddy at work found a “stray keg” that was abandoned at a party or behind some skanky bar and gave this keg a nice warm home in his basement. Now the keg has been donated to you since you are a homebrewer and can put this sad and lonely keg to good use. Is this a decent re-creation of the facts of how you got this keg?

The true owner of the keg does not really care where your friend got this keg. The owners really just want their property returned. Most keg owners do not camouflage their identity to confuse prospective keg users with questions about who really owns the keg, rather they stamp the brewery name on the perimeter of the top (called the chime). Sometimes they even paint their name on the side of the keg. Boulevard Brewing Company in Kansas City, Missouri, has clever stickers on their kegs asking customers to help return lost kegs to the brewery. These stickers also comically explain that keeping one of their kegs is theft.

The reality of kegs is that some are damaged to the point where they can no longer be used and are actually retired. For those readers interested in buying used kegs, start with your local craft brewer. This is a legal way of acquiring property. Many brewers, especially the larger guys who don’t sell their used stuff to individuals, sell used kegs to companies like Sabco (KEGS.COM, All about KEGS, All of the Time !) who recondition and resell them. Reconditioned kegs typically have the original owner’s name ground off of the chime, especially if they are resold to another brewery. Sabco even sells the parts required to convert a keg into a kettle, and actual keg-kettles.

Hey all,

Curious if anyone knows which kegs, if all kegs today, are stainless steel. My future project will be to make a sweet AG brew station and would like to find kegs if I can to use. Where can I get stainless steel and/or all kegs today stainless? Any websites too that have them available for a good price? Thanks!

Check out Kegglebrewing.com. All of Terry's kegs are legal and he can outfit the kegs for you with welded fittings, false bottoms etc. He is also a great guy to deal with.

There are a very few aluminum kegs out there, but you can tell bu how soft they are, and they have a coating on the inside. I've never run into one but I've seen a couple pictures around here.

Back