Help picking my next brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
So I posted a bit about my first batch that I actually like a great deal (American Light Ale kit from Morebeer.com which was 6lbs Ultralight LME, Crystal 15L grain steep, and 1.5 total oz of Cascade)

My next batch was a Warrior Pale Ale kit from AHS, 7lbs pale LME, Crystal 20L steep, 1oz Warrior, 1oz Sterling. I haven't tasted this yet but I assume it's going to be quite different from the first due to the pointed Cascade distinction. It's also much darker (amber) than the first batch.

My last batch, #3, was a Killian's Red Lager clone also from AHS. Again, I'm sure this should taste quite a bit different than the previous two.

On to what I know about my tastes in beer to help frame this question:

I like:
Sam Adams Oktoberfest
Blue Moon Oktoberfest
Redhook ESB (which I've heard is nowhere near as bitter as a real ESB)
River Horse Lager (this is a limited Northeast distributed brew but in case you've had it)
Rock Bottom Peashooter

I very much didn't like:
Rock Bottom Brown Bear, Stout (apparently i don't like smoky notes)
Pyramid Hefe Weissen (I don't want to discount all wheats, but it just wasn't good)
Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale (I have 4 bottles in the fridge that will just rot there)
Flying Dog Porter

So, given all that info, can someone suggest a good batch #4 that would be different than what I've already got in the works but also inline with my tastes? I'd like to stick with Extract + steeped grains at this point.

Thanks so much for your guidance.

I got one for you- it's a Left Hand Brewery's Sawtooth Clone. It's an ESB (but it's not really that bitter, probably in line with Redhook!), but it drinks like an amber. Smooth and rich, with just the right amount of bitterness. Good balance of maltiness v. hops. No hoppy aftertaste. This is our new "house beer"- it's that good!

Left hand Sawtooth Ale

-Brewing Method: Extract
Yeast: 1098 British - WYeast
Batch Size: 5 Gallons

Grain Bill:
1lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Victory (toasted)
3lbs Pale Extract
3lbs Munich Extract

Hop Bill:
1.5 oz Fuggle (45 min boil)
1.5 oz Golding (15 min boil)
1 oz Golding (end of boil)

Mash Schedule:
Steep grains in water 15-20 minutes at about 120-180 degrees. ( I steeped at 158 degrees)
Remove and add malt extracts.
Bring to boil.

Total Boiling time 45 minutes. (I can't remember exactly, but I probably did a 60 minute boil, and hopping)
Add 1.5 oz of fuggle at beginning of boil
Add 1.5 oz Golding when 15 minutes left in boil
Add 1 oz Golding at the end of the boil.

Let cool to under 80 degrees and pitch yeast. Aerate well! Shake the snot out of the primary! Primary fermentation lasts about 3 days. Rack to secondary and ferment for another 2 - 3 weeks.

Other yeasts you could use:
Safale S-04 dry yeast or pretty much any British strain except 1187 and 1084. All of the following would work: 1968, 1028, 1099, WLP023, 1275 and 1335.

Or a Redhook ESB clone-
6 lbs Light LME
1 lb Light DME
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 oz Willamette (60 minutes)
1 oz Tettnanger (60 minutes)
1 oz Willamette (20 minutes)
1 oz Tettnanger (2 minutes)
Neutral yeast

Steep grains. Remove and add malt extracts. Bring to a boil. Add hops according to schedule. Pitch yeast when cooler than 80 degrees.

I haven't tried the Redhook clone yet, so I can't vouch for it. I'm going to be doing it in a couple of weeks. I don't like wheat beers, or any beers with "flavors" added. I do like almost all ambers and a few pale ales. So, maybe we have some similar tastes. Good luck!

Lorena

Back