Gas Distributiion help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarjr

Reaction score
I recently built a brutus system and I'm having trouble with my burners. I have 3 HP jet burners and they are all attached with 1/2 black pipe. Each burner has a shut off valve and the pipe all leads back to a 30PSI regulator. When I light the system, the first one lights but there is barely a flame and the 2nd two wont light at all. Its almost like its not getting any gas. This is my first time using a system that only uses one propane tank. Did I need to buy a 30PSI regulator for each burner, then connect them all together?

Most likely you have tripped the safety surge valve on the regulator. Here's the remedy. Open one of the burner control valves and relieve the pressure in the piping and supply hose. Close all burner control valves, then just barely crack open the tank valve. Allow the gas lines to pressurize slowly over a minute or so then open the tank valve fully. You should then be able to light and operate the burners normally. The surge valve is designed to shut off the gas flow in the event that a supply hose gets burned or severed. The sudden rush of gas trips a valve mechanism built into the tank connector. It won't usually shut off the gas entirely, but it slows it to a trickle which is pretty much what you have described. Even with the burner valves all closed, there will be a rush of gas to charge the 1/2" black pipe manifold until the pressure builds up and slows the flow.

It sounds like I have a very similar set up to you. Definitely do not need multiple 30psi regulators. I have mine turned down...not sure how much...but I suspect to around 15-20 psi. Catt22 has described the procedure I use exactly. I agree with him that the safety is likely whats causing your issue

I had a similar issue with one of my burners. After troubleshooting the system I found the problem. It was a blocked orifice fitting (brass fitting in the burner). When I disconnected the line from the fitting, I found small pieces of Teflon tape blocking the orifice. Apparently some small pieces came off after I re-assembled the gas manifold. Yes I know, you should clean the threads before re-assembling the system (learned my lesson!).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!:tank:

Back