Stainless Steel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouza

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
New here and looking for some advice.
I'm getting back into homebrewing and recently aquired a used 30qt. stainless steel stockpot (which was used by another brewer).
Unfortunately, the pot has seen a lot of action and the bottom is scarred from an abrasive cleaning agent or brush. There are also a few dents in the bottom of the pot.
I mostly concerned about sanitation. Would any of you think that I should invest in a new brewpot?
Thanks!

get a new sos pad and some barkeepers friend. go to town on the pot with that and see how it turns out. it should be able to remove any discoloration or corrosion with a bit of elbow grease. as far as the dents, they really don't hurt anything at all. they reduce the capacity of the pot, but not by enough to justify the purchase of a new one.

get a new sos pad and some barkeepers friend. go to town on the pot with that and see how it turns out. it should be able to remove any discoloration or corrosion with a bit of elbow grease. as far as the dents, they really don't hurt anything at all. they reduce the capacity of the pot, but not by enough to justify the purchase of a new one.

No don't use an sos pad! Use a scotchbrite pad instead.

or buy a stainless steel scrubby to use on it with some Bar keepers friend, the mild steel in an SOS pad will embed itself into the stainless and cause rust spots later.

Thanks guys!
The pot also came with a very used copper chiller.
There appears to be some caked-on wort remnants on the chiller.
Would the Bar Keepers work for that as well?

Thanks guys!
The pot also came with a very used copper chiller.
There appears to be some caked-on wort remnants on the chiller.
Would the Bar Keepers work for that as well?

just scrub that w/ your scotch bright pad and do a quick boil in H2O it will be fine.
NEVER USE AN SOS PAD ON STAINLESS!!!!!!!! it will destroy it for brewing and RUST like mad
cheers
JJ

Considering the age and heavy use of the IC.

You might also consider an overnight soak, starting with hot water and vinegar (white distilled). This willnot only loosen up the caked on crud but, will also loosen up any oxidation (black or green deposits/film) that may have formed on the copper making it easier to clean.

I'm in the company of genius here.
The Bar Keepers worked like a champion.
After an hour or so, brewpot looks beautiful.
Tomorrow, I attack the chiller.
Thanks guys!

Barkeeper's Friend is awesome stuff. After I cleaned up some rough-looking (but cheap) kegs and got the scorch marks off the bottom of my boil pot, my got inspired. My food cooking pots have never looked so good :)

Pretty close to the best $1.79 I ever spent. I love it when the cheap solution turns out to rock.

I got mine at the local grocery... Kroger... near the Ajax. It also cleaned the heck out of my Jenn-air glass cooking top! Looks better than it did when we bought the house.
MAGIC!

We have Dollar Tree out in these parts. I've been buying my knockoff brand Oxyclean there, I think I'll look for BKF there too.

Back