Help me clean my silicone hoses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoneedsabeer

Reaction score
I have less than 10 batches with my silicone hoses, and they've been taking on a more and more yellow color, and have a distinct maltly smell.

After each use I soak in oxyclean, then run acid cleaner through them, but nothing seems to be working. The color and smell still persist.

Any ideas on how to get them back to new looking/smelling?

I find I need to add some heat to get the cleaners to do a really good job. While I do like, and do use oxyclean. I also use commercial Beer Line Cleaner and another commercial cleaner that I'm blanking on the name now. For these I like to heat them up to 150-170*F. I have a direct fired mash tun so I use that to heat the cleaners up and then pump through my system.

Didn't think about beer line cleaner... thanks I'll try that myself... having the same problem... My blowoff hose smells terrible...

Oxy seems to work for me, but you can stick them in a pot of boiling water and see if that does it as well.

I find I need to add some heat to get the cleaners to do a really good job. While I do like, and do use oxyclean. I also use commercial Beer Line Cleaner and another commercial cleaner that I'm blanking on the name now. For these I like to heat them up to 150-170*F. I have a direct fired mash tun so I use that to heat the cleaners up and then pump through my system.

And does it get your lines back to clear with no smell? If so, could you let me know your procedures?

Mmmm, malt smell. There's really no worry about a malt smell making it into your next batch is there?

I've seen some of your youtube vids, and know how seriously you take your cleaning, so I guess what you're trying to tell me is I'm being too paranoid? ;)

I just regularly replace blow-off tubes etc.

There once was a man from Nantellet...
Who claimed malt in his lines, he could smell it!

That's all I got...not so good with the rhymes, not really ... no.

Do you use iodophor?

No. It's just the color of the hot wort moving through my lines making it off color. Other than wort, tap water, oxyclean and acid cleaner #5 is all that has ever come in contact with my lines.

You can autoclave silicone hoses. Stick them in your pressure cooker and nuke it to 15 psi for 20 minutes. That would be around 240 degrees I think. I haven't tried it, but it may kill the smell and possible some of the color.

I recirculate boiling water through my system during clean up. Following that, I throw the hoses in the dishwasher with the rest of the brew day mess.

Back