St Arnold's Grain Bills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A couple of weekends ago my fiance and I went to St. Arnold's in Houston, man it was fun. Anyway, while I was there I noticed the grain bills for some of their beers were posted on a wall....so I busted out my camera and snapped a couple of shots.

HPIM0695.jpg

HPIM0697.jpg

HPIM0696.jpg

So, if anyone wants to clone some of their recipes here are the percentages. Their website says the IBU's type of hops and normally tells the number of kettle additions.

I'm not a big IPA kinda guy but I tried thiers and really liked it, that and the Octoberfest was awesome. Those two are deffinatly on the lineup.

oh cool, just realized that this is ALL of their beers.....except the "Divine Reserve"

Nice score!

I wonder where they post their hop schedules?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw the paragraph at the bottom. Their IPA is not bad at all.

Just had their Oktoberfest not to long ago, very good beer. I just wish I knew what yeast they used. What are you planing on using?

Holy hell, that's awesome. Dude, I've been there several times, I love St. Arnolds, but never saw this...where was this posted at?

P.S. Is it possible to use this information to make something close using extract and steeped specialty grains? (still a newbie waiting to get his equipment and brew his first batch even)

I'm not sure what exact yeast they use for the Ofest but i know it's their "proprietary" ale yeast....probubly just something REALLY clean

It was posted on the door next to the grain mill and the MLT.

Sure speedcheese you can convert the recipes. Which one are you lookin at? I'll tell you the calc's....don't have'em right now

greenhornet said:
I'm not sure what exact yeast they use for the Ofest but i know it's their "proprietary" ale yeast....probubly just something REALLY clean

It was posted on the door next to the grain mill and the MLT.

Sure speedcheese you can convert the recipes. Which one are you lookin at? I'll tell you the calc's....don't have'em right now

Honestly...all of them, lol. Let's use Brown (33 bbl) as an example though. I'm sure if I understand one I can figure them all out. I would guess it would come out to:

2-row - 8.3 lbs
munich - 2.1 lbs
caramunich - .7 lbs
special b - .3 lbs
chocolate - .05 lbs

Are those calculations right? They seem like a lot to me, though I haven't really brewed much so I don't really have a whole lot to base that on. If my calculations are right, then would I just be using like 8.3 lbs of a pale ale or dark ale extract and steeping the rest of the grains?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. I just wanted to give it a try at understanding this. Again, great find Hornet.

Ha thats awesome you picked the brown... I converted it today!

Here's what I got

Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 33 HCU (~16 SRM)
Bitterness: 21 IBU
OG: 1.055 FG: 1.011
Alcohol: 5.6% v/v (4.4% w/w)
Grain: 8 lb. American 2-row
2 lb. American Munich
.5 lb. Belgian CaraMunich
5 oz. Belgian Special B
1 oz. American chocolate
Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.039 7 gallons
Hops: .5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 15 min.)

*These aren't the same hops they use bc I'm not exactly sure what they use plus I've got a pound of each...Also, I think the timings need to be redone...like only 60 and 30min hops since it's a brown...just as long as it's around 20-25IBU's

First off, I used this to convert/write the recipe http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

Next, 1 barrel is 31 gallons (or is it 33?) so those recipes are for like 1025 gallons!

Ok and lastly...for extract just steep all of the specialty grains (does munich have to be mashed or can it be steeped? Not sure) and convert the 2row to extra light DME

The equation is (pounds of 2row)X .6875=(pounds of DME)

Hope that helps

greenhornet said:
Ha thats awesome you picked the brown... I converted it today!

Here's what I got

Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 33 HCU (~16 SRM)
Bitterness: 21 IBU
OG: 1.055 FG: 1.011
Alcohol: 5.6% v/v (4.4% w/w)
Grain: 8 lb. American 2-row
2 lb. American Munich
.5 lb. Belgian CaraMunich
5 oz. Belgian Special B
1 oz. American chocolate
Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.039 7 gallons
Hops: .5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Fuggles (4.75% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Kent Goldings (5% AA, 15 min.)

*These aren't the same hops they use bc I'm not exactly sure what they use plus I've got a pound of each...Also, I think the timings need to be redone...like only 60 and 30min hops since it's a brown...just as long as it's around 20-25IBU's

First off, I used this to convert/write the recipe http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

Next, 1 barrel is 31 gallons (or is it 33?) so those recipes are for like 1025 gallons!

Ok and lastly...for extract just steep all of the specialty grains (does munich have to be mashed or can it be steeped? Not sure) and convert the 2row to extra light DME

The equation is (pounds of 2row)X .6875=(pounds of DME)

Hope that helps

That's awesome. That helps a lot. I didn't know about the .6875 DME to grain. That's the biggest part I was looking for I think. I don't know about Munich grains (or any for that matter) and whether they can be steeped or not, but I'm sure my local homebrew shop would know if I ever ask them. Thanks for the help!

So are you a big fan of the brown then? I love it. I think Spring Bock is my favorite though. Christmas Ale is up there too. I have a 6 of Divine Reserve 5 (russian imperial stout) and Oktoberfest in the fridge, which is starting to grow on me. Cheers. :mug:

Yeah the brown is good but a bit tame (I guess browns are supposed to be though). The OFest is awesome...I really like it. My fiance really likes the Fancy Lawnmower but I like their IPA...the amber is good too.

To be honest I haven't had all of their beers. I don't like the Texas Wheat but I think I just don't like american wheats.

I really want to try thier winter stout and christmas ale, hopefully I can find some this winter....Corpus isn't a big beer town.

I called the 1 cool beer store in town to see if they had the Divine Reserve and they said they probubly won't get it. Wanna ship a bottle? :D

Yup no problem, once you figure out that equation it's pretty easy to convert recipes.

Arnies is a great brewery, and I really like the people there. I live right down the street from their brewery.

You used to be able to buy hops and grain from these guys in bulk.

I'm not sure if they still do that, though.

Oh, and getting the divine reserve is a bit of a trick. No one stocks it on the shelves. You basically have to ask the guys at St. Arnolds who they recently shipped to, call that store, ask them to hold some for you, and then ask someone to get it for you out of the back when you get there. I've paid upwards of $10 for a six pack.

Also, their winter stout is excellent, and I like their xmas ale too. However, make sure you check how strong it is prior to drinking. I think the Xmas was like 7.5% ABV one year.

Anyone want to ship a couple bottles of the Divine Reserve? :D

Could trade some of my up coming brown or holiday cider....or pay paypal

Unfortunately, I haven't been practicing much self-restraint lately....the divine reserve didn't last long in the fridge.

Yeah, it's hard finding that stuff. I know at the big Specs downtown they usually sell all 50 or so cases within the first 2 hours of opening. I got lucky and actually found 2 6-packs at a grocery store after I got off of work that night. They were $14 a 6-pack though. But I bought both of them and sold off all but 3 of the bottles to my friends who wanted to try it.

greenhornet said:
Anyone want to ship a couple bottles of the Divine Reserve? :D

Could trade some of my up coming brown or holiday cider....or pay paypal

Wish i saw this thread thurs. i was in corpus this weekend taking a class. market street has the divine in stock. PM me with your address and ill see what i can do

attitude said:
Wish i saw this thread thurs. i was in corpus this weekend taking a class. market street has the divine in stock. PM me with your address and ill see what i can do

PM Sent :mug:

Ok, I have one more question...for those that aren't listed, do you think that is for a 33 or 30 bbl recipe? (Amber for example)

Sooooo tasty

I'm having one of the browns right now and it's sooo good. I wish I hadn't decided to give these out ask gifts bc that means I only get a couple. This is definatly on the rebrew list and is going to be my first recipe added to the database.

Hey guys, I've got to resurrect this thread because I was at our local cigar bar this past week and had two St. Arnold's Octoberfests and ...holy crap it was good! I then checked their website and apparently they ferment it with an ale yeast which is great because I'm not set up for lagering yet.

Can someone help me with calculating what the grain bill would be for a 5 gallon partial mash Octoberfest Clone?

Many thanks. This forum is too cool!

Lets get a divine reserve #8 clone figured out. I can't find it anywhere... so why not brew it? Either way, does anybody have a good scotch ale recipe or any other divine reserve clones?

Im actualy in the same homebrew club as phil (the KGB) the guy who won the comp that resulted in DR8. I had some of his keg of it, actually.

If you give me a min, I can prolly track down the recipie.

Here's the recipie, direct from the original brewer.

Batch size: 5 Gal
OG: 1.090
FG: 1.021
ABV: 9%

Grain Bill
17.25 lb Pale Malt (2 row) UK
2 lb Tosted Malt (2 Row)
1 lb British Amber Malt
1.5 lb British Dark Crystal Malt
.5 lb British Medium Crystal Malt
.25 Wheat Malt

Hops
1.5 oz Hallertau (3.75 AA) 60 min
1 oz Hallertau (3.75 AA) 45 min
.5 oz Hallertau (3.75 AA) 5 min

Yeast
WLP028 (white labs edinburgh)

Mash
155 degrees - 60 minutes

There ya go!

Thank you SO much mindcrime! I searched everywhere for DR8 w/o success. I even stood outside HEB at 5:30 in the morning hoping too get some on Fri. I can't wait to brew my own DR8. This is what homebrewing is all about... sharing and collaborating!

Cheers to you good sir,
:mug:

How long do you think that DR8 needs to ferment? I did one based on that recipe and just wondering if anyone has experience in aging a brew like that.

I did this one last Monday and it blew pretty hard and now it is still very cloudy and somewhat bubbly on top.

Oswegan--

I'm finally getting around to brewing this beer... how did yours turn out? I noticed you made this one back in Sept. of '09. I think this is the best scotch ale I've ever had. Did you use a yeast starter? How long did you end up letting this bad boy age? I converted this recipe into a partial grain because I don't trust my all grain set up to handle this big of a beer. Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you.

:mug:

Back