Nottingham temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I did a partial boil. and did not calculate the makeup water volume/temp correctly...confess to dipping into the Harpoon a bit early..

was shooting for 70 deg, but got 64 ... is Nottingham yeast going to balk ? I figure it will just take a bit longer.

Any "records" out there for lowest temp using Nottingham ?

Nottingham will be fine at 64 degrees F. I always keep it at 64-67 degrees F and have actually heard of people keeping it as low as 55 degrees F.

I've never used Nottingham below about 58 degrees. It worked great at 58-60, and so most of my fermentations with Nottingham are done under 62 degrees. It's much "cleaner" tasting, and I really like it at those lower temps.

last time i used it i didn't rehydrate and pitched and maintained 62ish and all was well. a little longer lag time, but nothing like days or anything.

Yeah, my last Notty ferment was right at 60, and it blew the top off of my fermenter on day 1. No problems with temp there, mate.

The fermentation has come and gone ... I will be interested in detecting any change to the estery flavor profile. This is the lowest I have ever asked Notty to go, and good to know there is still some room at the bottom.

Brewing is a forgiving process

My first try with Notty I had at 68F. It fully fermented very violently in 2.5 days. It tasted slightly solventy but ok. I have one going now at 65F and its almost finished at 5 days in. If I use it again i'll definitely go 63 or lower.

Back