Yum. Carbonated worcestershire sauce.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Okay, first I will admit I have no experience with flemish sour red ales. Second my taste buds have been far from trustworthy lately. :mad:

But I just finished a bottle of Monks Cafe Flemish Sour Red ale. All I can say is it tastes as described in the title, no exaggeration. Blech. There was a bit of Balsamic vinegar at first but completely worcestershire in the end. Not likely to become a fan of the style after this one.

Never had that one of those but try Rodenbach or Duchesse de Bourgogne before giving up on the style. Vinegar is a taste that you will notice in the style but Lea & Perrins not so much

Never had that one of those but try Rodenbach or Duchesse de Bourgogne before giving up on the style. Vinegar is a taste that you will notice in the style but Lea & Perrins not so much

Okay, I take it back. I have had Rodenbach. I was disappointed in that because it was not sour enough! I think it was perhaps past its prime though.

Try the Roenbach Grand Cru it's unblended and more sour. Don't give up just yet! This is my favorite style of beer.

Sounds like you got a bad bottle. Never had one that I found tasted as you describe. Here were my notes from a little while back:

Appearance: Body is a deep garnet/ruby with mahogany highlights when you hold it to the light and swirl it around. The carbonation is very "spritzy" it develops a quickly dissipating head that falls into a skim of bubbles holding the edges. Bubbles froth to the surface providing further evidence of the ample carb.
Aroma: Strong cherry lifesaver/candy aroma with a touch of wood and the sharp tang of apple.
Flavor: The very first thing you notice is the carbonation on your tongue, very soda-like accompanied by a green apple crispness. Mid flavor has a soft/light sour note that becomes overwhelmed by cherry candy sweetness. The flavor becomes so sweet that it completely dominates the sour note and almost makes the lacto seem to have a hint of vinegar.
Mouthfeel: While the carb is very zesty and the body is little on the light side, both would prb be acceptable for the style yet do not enhance the character of the beer.

Back