Carb Tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
Im going to start bottling a sixer of every brew I keg, and am using Munton carbonation tabs. Bottling is a first for me, so I have a few questions. Do these have to sit at room temp for 3 weeks like priming sugar does. Im long term aging these bottles (as a lesson in patience), my plan was to put them in my fermenting freezer (62f-64f) for a few months, will this work?

Yup, takes at least 3 wks for full carb. Should be great after a few months if you leave them there like you are planning.

One thing I notice with the carb tabs is that they don't seem to disolve completely, even after 5 or 6 weeks or so there are tiny little white floating leftovers from the tabs . Other than that, the carbonation levels seem nice.

Not to be contrary, but why not just counter pressure fill from the keg? I know you want these to age and the carb tabs would be easier but there are a couple reason why I think this is better:
1. If you let it sit cold in the keg before filling you will end up with very little if any yeast sediment in the bottle.
2. You can control the carbonation exactly.

I think there are other reasons too, but I can't think of them right now.

I bought some and plan to do the same thing. WHen I looked at the back of the package, it seems like it would be pretty simple to use something else. My brother uses table sugar.

I use the little tablets. I bottle one or two 6packs before kegging so I can age them or give them to friends. The tablets are simple to use and they work well. It took me awhile to figure out what the little white floaties were in the beer. I use 5 tablets in a regular bottle and 6 in grolsch type bottles.

Back