Wicked Red Rye and...more rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I remember some time ago I had a a great Rye ale. I believe it was Founder's Red Rye ale or something like that. A couple questions on that. First, is there a recipe for a clone for Founder's? Second, what happens if you use a lot of malted rye (think > 25% of grain bill) for a beer? I liked the slick spiciness in the Founder's, so I figure it can't be bad. Finally, is there any mention of Belgians ever implementing rye in their beers for color, spice or mouthfeel?

Interestingly, I read that Pete's had caraway in it, which doesn't sit well with me when it's in bread, yet I loved the beer. Weird. Oh well, I'm excited to do a RyePA or maybe a Rye Steam Beer.

I don't have anything to help you other than agreeing that Founder's Red's Rye is a great beer. Their Black Rye is great too. These two beer have me thinking of adding rye to everything.
:mug:

Iechyd Da said:
I don't have anything to help you other than agreeing that Founder's Red's Rye is a great beer. Their Black Rye is great too. These two beer have me thinking of adding rye to everything.
:mug:
THERE IS A BLACK RYE?!

EinGutesBier said:
Second, what happens if you use a lot of malted rye (think > 25% of grain bill) for a beer?

It's more of a sticky mess than usual(much worse that wheat). That's what I've experienced from it other than taste.

z987k said:
It's more of a sticky mess than usual(much worse that wheat). That's what I've experienced from it other than taste.
Trust, me I know about the slicky, sticky oiliness that rye imparts. That was some fun stuff to scrape out of my MLT. What I'm wondering is does a larger percentage of rye provide any positive flavor characteristics?

From AHS: "Rye malt gives beer a dry crispness and a red color, along with the familiar rye flavor." Bye rye flavor, I'm sure he's referring to the rye spicyness.

In larger quantities, expect the flavor to be more pronounced in the finished product.

Back