Can I add some sweet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejf063

Reaction score
Ok. My first AG was a SMaSH of Vienna and Columbus. I had no idea how efficient my system would be but since it was new to me, the efficiency was much, much lower than I hopped. My pre boil gravity was 1.040, OG of 1.042 fg 1.010. I dry hopped after fermentation then threw it in the keezer at 10 psi for 6 days. I knew there would be little sweetness and figured I brewed a good summer session ale. But taste had a good bitterness, but the flavor was--nil--. I mean there was no sweetness to balance anything out. No sweetness at all.

So, is it too late to make some simple syrup out of water and lactose (or another non-fermentable sweet sugar)? I am going on vacation in less than a week, it would be great to depressurize the keg add the syrup put gas back on, return home to a great beer. Is there anything I can do to fix, and if so, what can I add and how much would I need? Thanks for your help and I love the sight!

Oh and could I add an extra ounce Of hops to the syrup for a little extra flavor/ aroma?

Lactose really isn't all that sweet. I would consider making a much sweeter beer and blending them. Brew tomorrow and keg it when you get back! That said, any sugar you put into the keg won't ferment out as long as it's cold.

Lactose really isn't all that sweet. I would consider making a much sweeter beer and blending them. Brew tomorrow and keg it when you get back! That said, any sugar you put into the keg won't ferment out as long as it's cold.

Well, if i could brew tomorrow i would, but alas..... I ended up going to my LHBS and got a pound of lactose. I know its not very sweet, but I think it will add a mouthfell and a sweeter character that this beer could use.

I was thinking about doing the lactose and... i dunno, 1/4 cup of brown sugar. but i concluded that basically, if i create a simple syrup out of the lactose and water, add it to the beer and see how it tastes w/o the additon of the brown sugar i may be surprised. If its not enough think it would be easier to add more than to take anything away.

I also think i am going to thorw in about a cup of hop tea to add some hop flavor and aroma which may be the trick to rounding thins beer out.

Back