Looking for the world's best *proven* pale ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
Been a while since I brewed. Time to do a pale ale methinks. I have some base grains I need to use (marris otter)...also have pilsner...so can use either one. Also have US05 that i should probably use soon. Been sitting around for probably 6 months.

I'm looking for your best pale ale recipe - preferably an award winner :ban:

Whatcha got?!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/
This one is pretty popular. I brewed something similar but with a higher lovibond crystal, different and more finishing hops, and 1 oz of dry hops. Turned out really nice and I think it would have been even better with Maris Otter.

I am NOT a fan of this recipe, and neither was anyone who tried it. Not bad, just unremarkable in every way.

This on the other hand is a delicious recipe and fits your criteria well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/russian-river-row-2-hill-56-clone-369668/

I think EdWort's grainbill is pretty solid if you're looking for a drier pale ale, but I also think the one I brewed would have benefited from Maris Otter as a base. I definitely don't think there's enough hops in it though, which is why I think I tripled the amount in mine (might have been a little over the top, but I definitely enjoyed the results). This was my recipe and hop schedule:

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (76.2%)
2 lb - American - Vienna (19%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (2.4%)
0.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (2.4%)

HOPS:
0.4 oz - Magnum for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 13.5, IBU: 24.93)
0.5 oz - Centennial for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 9.7, IBU: 5.98)
0.5 oz - Citra for 15 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 15.6, IBU: 9.61)
0.5 oz - Centennial for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 9.7, IBU: 3.63)
0.5 oz - Citra for 5 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 15.6, IBU: 5.84)
1 oz - Citra for 7 days, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop (AA 15.6)

I think the problem you might run into on selecting the "best" recipe is going to be the variety of hop preference. IMHO I think every can come a lot closer on grain bill and maybe even time of hop additions, but not the hops themselves. FWIW I usually go with 75% pale malt, 10% white wheat, 10% Vienna or toasted pale and 5% crystal (sometimes a sprinkle of aromatic malt). I usually do a small buttering charge and then load up the hops from 10 mins on down. If you go with a base recipe like his you can have a lot of fun playing with different (and sometimes interesting) hop additions.

Back