Belgian Dubbel - No secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovejon

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a Belgian Dubbel during the weekend but I've run into a small dilemma. I don't have an additional fermentor to use for a secondary fermentation. My plan is to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and bottle before I leave for a 2 week trip. Is this plan good or should I leave it in the primary for 2 more weeks while I'm on my trip?

Thanks in advance!

First off, secondary is absolutely unnecessary for 99% of beers, including Belgian Dubbel. If it were me, since this tends to be a bigger beer, I'd leave it on the yeast cake for the 5 weeks and bottle when you're back from your trip. By then it will most certainly have attenuated as low as it's going to. Cheers!

Just leave it in the primary while you're on your trip. There is no reason to secondary a dubbel unless you're adding some sort of weird adjunct to it. As the previous poster said, it will benefit the beer to just sit on the yeast cake a little bit longer. No worries mang.

Thanks for the reply guys, I'll leave the dubbel for two additional weeks and bottle it after I return from my trip. I'm fermenting this on a bucket so I'm assuming that leaving it this long won't be a problem, am I right?

I left a brown ale in a plastic bucket for 9 weeks and it came out very good. Your dubbel should too. No worries. Have a safe trip.:mug:

Back