Spped response needed -- ready to brew but question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
Doing a partial mash punkin ale, I've read a ton here now and cant make up my mind -- punkin go in partial mash/steep or boil?? Recipe says mash, I've seen many say boil but prepare for one tall trub. I've read that adding punkin doesn't add much by way of flavor (spices do that) just mouthfeel, but I want to add (cuz it's punkin ale for pete's sake!) Brewing within 30 minutes, who's on the computer???

I haven't made one, so I might not be of much help. I do intend to make one soon, though. I plan to put the pumpkin in the mash...

The pumpkin ale I've brewed (Moon Hill Pumpkin ale in the recipe forum) was a partial mash and it had pumpkin in the mash, and then in the boil. Turned out very nice.

I like the idea of adding the pumkin to the mash and boil. I might have to do it that way as well. Did you get a lot of trub from that?

I did a pumpkin ale last year and added the pumpkin to the boil. Lots of trub and about 2/3 through the keg, the dip tube got clogged. I did not filter or do a cold crash before i kegged, so if you add pumpkin to the boil you may need to be prepared.

yeah +1 on not boiling pumpkin, but alot of the recipes i've seen do say to par boil the pumpkin and then roast it to carmelize it.I could see that making some difference in the flavor if added to the mash.

I mashed it and boiled it as well as placed it in the primary after 1.5 weeks.

if your gonna boil, use nylon bag!

I like the idea of adding the pumkin to the mash and boil. I might have to do it that way as well. Did you get a lot of trub from that?

Surprisingly, no. I used ~30 oz (2 cans) of pumpkin in the mash. And another 15oz (one can) in the boil, no bag. I whirlpooled as I transferred to keep most of the kettle trub out of the fermenter. I didn't get much more trub post fermentation than I'd expect. There was also a spice addition late in the boil, and spice tea in secondary. The pumpkin flavor was subtle, but definitely there and the spices brought it out quite a bit. The malt flavors were bread-y and biscuit-y, with a touch of sweetness that really brought the beer together. All in all, it was a very nice beer. I did a trade recently with the member who wrote the recipe and of course the pumpkin ale was involved. Both examples were really nice, a bit different, but a solid pumpkin beer. I have a review of his on my YouTube channel, here's a link to his review of my take on the recipe. We'll be working on an AG version for this year. :rockin:

Back