Ok, who likes a challenge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob90

Reaction score
Need to come up with a beer in 4 weeks for a buddy's birthday. He just brought it up and I said I could do it in 4 weeks...So how about a cream ale? Maybe add some rice to give it a crispness to it?

All grain:

8lbs U.S. 2-row
1lbs Honey malt
1.5 lbs flaked rice

Hops:
1oz Liberty@60

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056

What do you think? 2 weeks in primary, 1 week in secondary, 1 week in keg? Is it possible to get enough carbonation in 1 week while it's in a keg?

Thanks!

Sounds good, but I would do 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks in the keg if it were me...

I think this depends on your method of carbonation. I don't keg so I am not sure of the timetables. But, force carbing at high pressure then backing off for serving pressures would be fastest. Carbing by low pressure would be in the middle and carbonating with priming sugar would be similar to bottles - 3 weeks or so.

I would tell my friends that I need at least 2 months notice if they want the beer to decently aged. Three would be better.

IMHO you should pass on the secondary. Like Stauff said, 2 in primary and 2 in the keg. That way it basically secondaries and clears in the keg. If you can cold crash it before you transfer, all the better. And keep it low gravity.

A hefeweizen is a good option too, since it's supposed to be cloudy and drunk young.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Bernie: I agree completely, had I known a couple months ahead of time I could've made a better beer.

So Cat; you think maybe a hefe would be better?

5lbs pils
4lbs wheat
1lb honey malt?

1oz Tett.@60

2 weeks in primary, cold crash it a day or 2 before I keg it?

His favorite beer at the moment is that blue moon honey wheat so that's why I'm stuck on the honey malt.

What would be a good yeast for a hefe?

If he's into Blue Moon, stick with a neutral American ale yeast like S-05 or 1056. Frankly I think you're onto something with the wheat idea. American wheat with sweet honey notes from the honey malt. That said, dial that back; that stuff is obvious. In a grist like that, 4-6 ounces will be plenty.

Bob

If you do a hefe, I wouldn't bother with the cold crash even. Just a couple weeks in primary and then keg.

If I was going to do this, I would brew this beer (looks good by the way) in your normal way. Pitch 2 packs of yeast and ferment in primary for 3 weeks. Cold crash FAST! transfer, PolyClar 24hrs, keg and carbonate. you can get plenty of carbonation in 5 days in the fridge at cold (34-35 deg) temps. and the PolyClar will drop everything out in 24 hours.
But thats just me.
Cheers
Jay

Jay's got a point. If you pitch a good pitch, the ferment should be over in less than 48 hours. Give it another 5-6 days at 60-65F for the yeast to clean up after themselves, then crash it. 'Cause it's done. Give it 6-7 days cold, then take a sample. If it's still turbid, fine or filter.* Keg it, carbonate it, drink it.

Cheers,

Bob

* Some LHBS will rent you a small plate-and-frame filter. 5 micron pads will give you an excellent polish.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Bernie: I agree completely, had I known a couple months ahead of time I could've made a better beer.

Kinda my point. If the beer has my name on it, I am not going to agree to brew it for someone if is not going to be at it's best. I would have told them too bad, but sorry. But good luck to you anyway.

I have tried honey malt in my lighter wheats and I am 50/50 if I like it. It is better with age, but initially I really did not like it. I would leave it out. If it was a dunkel, I would add a touch. If you want to use it, try a quarter to half lb for a 5 gallon batch.

Here is a klosch that is great in 3 weeks
7 lbs pale or 2 row
2.5 wheat
.12 lbs honey malt

Thank you everyone for your help!

I think what I'll do is tone down the honey to .25lbs and pitch 2 yeast packets like a couple of you have suggested. Then I'll cold crash it and keg it. If all else fails, I get a extract kit from my LHBS.

Thanks again!

Rob

Back