Creative uses for excess yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

As we brew every day, we have way more yeast available to us than we need. So I was wondering if anyone has got any good techniques for using up this yeast outside of brewing.

Things I've thought of include: skin cream, pet food enhancer, yeast-extract and hair shampoo but has anyone ever tried making any of these and what other novel uses can anyone suggest?

Might head over to probrewer.com and ask them. They'd be more in the same boat as you with brewing everyday and might have some suggestions on what they do.

It is an excellent plant food. Add a gallon or so of water to an old yeast cake and put it on your hop plants or tomatoes and watch them grow.

It hasn't for me. I smells a bit if you put it on indoor plants, I would only use it outdoors. My tomatoes shot up last year after a yeast feeding.

Dry it, put it in capsules, and use it as a vitamin supplement. That's what some Belgian breweries do.

Latest posts

Back