Oregon Brew Crew Fall Classic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picobrew

Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like I'm all grown up now. Deadline for this contest is on Friday. I just finished (6 hours....) of prepping 12 beers and the requisite paperwork for this contest. It will be my first AHA/BJCP contest. I am very excited! It will be great to get some good feedback and hopefully since I submitted so many darn things I will have a chance at some type of placement.

I was really surprised how much paperwork and prep there was for this, with the blacking out of bottle caps, the labels, the recipes, etc. I guess I jumped in pretty deep by submitting 12 different beers. Good thing I kept good notes on all of these! A lot of them are based on HBT recipes, including 2 variants of Apfelwein!

Anyone else on here in the Fall Classic?

http://www.oregonbrewcrew.com/fallclassic.html

Oh, and this is pretty cool:

Chad Kennedy of Laurelwood Brewing Co. is going to select one beer out of all of the category winners that compete in best of show to brew at Laurelwood. In other words, if your beer wins a gold and advances to the best of show round, then it might be picked.

Oh what a lot of time I wasted yesterday! This email came through this morning:

Hi Everyone,

I just noticed that the new BJCP entry form has a whole section devoted for entering the recipe and other brewing specifics. I really have no idea why they think that is important and we certainly will not be referencing that information in the Fall Classic competition. Feel free to leave everything in the "Ingredients and Procedures" section (below the dotted line) blank if you want. If Laurelwood picks your gold medal beer for brewing we will get that info later.

Cheers,

I just entered, only one entry, but it's also my first competition! Good luck Pico, unless you entered in 21A.... ;)

I just entered, only one entry, but it's also my first competition! Good luck Pico, unless you entered in 21A.... ;)

I did enter a 21a! muhaha. .. a belgian golden strong w/ ginger, sichuan pepper, and black pepper.

This is my second contest, the first was the brew crew monthly contest in june, for fruit beer.

Holy moly, 12 different beers! Good for you! I entered one beer, an American Stout....I could not make it to Roots yesterday-any results yet?

They haven't posted the full results, but here's the email they sent out yesterday:

Best of Show - Bill Schneller - Sour Ale - Gueuze
2nd Place - Mark Easton - American Ale - American Pale Ale
3rd Place - Greg Passmore - India Pale Ale
H.M. - Megan Hattfield - Stout - Foreign Extra Stout

I'll try to have the detailed results posted on the obc website as quickly as possible.

But, here's the short hand list of winners by category:

Light Lager
1 Tom Litwin
2 Mike Marsh

Pilsner
1 Ben Parson & Richard Hall
2 John Huck
3 Michael Kora

European Amber Lager
1 Tom Litwin
2 David Swisher
3 Tom Oettiker

Dark Lager
1 Mark Easton
2 David Swisher
3 Randy Scorby

Bock
1 Oliver Manuel
2 Randy Scorby
3 Oliver Manuel

Light Hybrid
1 Tom Litwin
2 Brett Thomas
3 Mike Marsh

Amber Hybrid
1 David Swisher
2 Dave & Mandy Hayes
3 Greg Passmore

English Pale Ale
1 Ken Ammerman
2 David Swisher
3 Chris Nordeen

Scottish and Irish Ale
1 David Swisher
2 Roger Jones & Curt Dimberg
3 Derek Arent, Sean Green, Josh Grgas

American Ale
1 Mark Easton
2 Ben Parsons & Richard Hall
3 Greg Passmore

English Brown Ale
1 Jody Grenert
2 Seth Vore
3 Verian Wedering

Porter
1 Jody Grenert
2 Colin Forsyth
3 Verian Wedering

Stout
1 Meagan Hattfield
2 Seth Vore
3 Tim Livingston

IPA
1 Greg Passmore
2 Patrick Jidas & Matt Sheaver
3 Patrick Jidas & Matt Sheaver

German Wheat and Rye
1 Tom Litwin
2 Dave & Mandy Hayes

Belgian and French Ale
1 Sean White
2 Brad Winter
3 Dave & Mandy Hayes

Sour Ale
1 Bill Schneller & Chris Johnson
2 Tim Clifford
3 Bill Schneller & Chris Johnson

Belgian Strong Ale
1 Colin Forsyth
2 Brad Winter
3 Brad Winter

Strong Ale
1 Michael Kora
2 Dan Schultz

Fruit Beer
1 Brett Thomas
2 Mike Herb
3 Brett Thomas

Spice/Herb/Vegetable
1 John Etter
2 Kristen Lunden
3 Brett Thomas

Smoke-Flavored and Wood-Aged
1 Erik Zobel & Billy Hart
2 Marc Martin
3 Kristen Lunden

Specialty Beer
1 Jeff Dicus
2 Dave & Mandy Hayes
3 Michael Kora

Traditional Mead
1 Larry & Tiffany Connor
2 Dave Hamilton
3 Dan Schultz

Melomel
1 Jason Spriet, Jay Fuzi, Rick Stout
2 Dan Schultz
3 Oliver Manual

Standard Cider & Perry
1 David Swisher
2 Colin Forsyth
3 Abram Goldman-Armstrong

Specialty Cider & Perry
1 Mark Easton
2 Colin Forsyth
3 Greg Passmore

Congrats Tim!! I ended up placing with 4 of my beers, #1 in ipa, #3 in specialty cider, #3 american ale, and #3 amber hybrid.

I don't know which of my 2 ipas got it yet... but I'm thinking it's my version of EdWort's Bee Cave IPA. The shocker there is that I bottled it SEVEN MONTHS AGO, which if it won, kinda flies in the face of "drink ipas young".

Congrats Tim!! I ended up placing with 4 of my beers, #1 in ipa, #3 in specialty cider, #3 american ale, and #3 amber hybrid.

I don't know which of my 2 ipas got it yet... but I'm thinking it's my version of EdWort's Bee Cave IPA. The shocker there is that I bottled it SEVEN MONTHS AGO, which if it won, kinda flies in the face of "drink ipas young".

Wow, 1st in IPA at this competition is awesome, this is IPA town afterall!

Wow, 1st in IPA at this competition is awesome, this is IPA town afterall!

Well............it seems there has been quite a mix up!!! They listed the IPA as mine, but it seems they mislabeled it, and it belonged to someone else. This means I did not get #1 iPA and didn't place in the best of show... I didn't think my IPAs deserved it, but this is pretty disappointing regardless.

I'm awaiting final word, but it looks like this is what happened. Pretty lame.

That is totally lame, sorry that happened to you, the BOS placement especially. Hey, at least you got 3 other beers that placed!

if it makes you feel any better,I had an entry to the Slurp and Burp get "lost", I entered 5 beers and only got 4 scores, the one that was lost was a really good APA that I expected to place. I guess hundreds of beers and dozens of judges drinking them has the potential for these problems?

That is totally lame, sorry that happened to you, the BOS placement especially. Hey, at least you got 3 other beers that placed!

if it makes you feel any better,I had an entry to the Slurp and Burp get "lost", I entered 5 beers and only got 4 scores, the one that was lost was a really good APA that I expected to place. I guess hundreds of beers and dozens of judges drinking them has the potential for these problems?

Wow that would suck. Can't rule that out either... maybe I'll only get back 7/12 scoresheets - who knows!

Back