Have any of you made the stone smoked porter from BYO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
I'm gonna be brewing this 4th of July probably, and was wondering if anybody here made the one from the BYO magazine?

This may or may not be the recipe but I found it with my superior googling ability. Even if it's not it looks like a winner, though I'd probably drop the peat to 4 oz since that stuff is pretty potent.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.77 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.54 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
0.50 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
1.5 oz Chinook [10.70 %] (60 min) Hops 42.5 IBU
.75 oz Mt. Hood [5.20 %] (10 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

I haven't brewed that beer but I did brew the Stone IPA clone from that same magazine. I wouldn't hesitate to brew any other recipe out of that magazine after that one. Took 2nd place not too long ago out of 51 beers.

The one from the mag says
10.75# 2-row
.75# crystal 75 (Dont think 75 is even made, so I will use C80)
1.75# Chocolate Malt
.25# Peat Smoked Malt

1.8oz Pearle @ 90
.50oz Mt. Hood @ 15

White Labs WLP002 Yeast, but I'm gonna use Safale 04.

I'm not smoking my own malt. I cant get damn peat malt at my LHBS, So of course I will have to spend $6 to ship $1.50 worth of grain.

edit: Mash @ 154. Boil 90 minutes. Ferment @ 68F.

I brewed it a couple of months back and it was fantastic.

Definitely keep the peated malt at .25 lb, that stuff is very strong. My roommate told me our kitchen smelled like cigarettes when he walked into the house while I was mashing.

That recipe sounds more like it. I had just found some recipe that someone threw together. FWIW I'm brewing the Ruination clone out of that issue later this week. I trust BYO to put out reliable recipes.

The one from the mag says
10.75# 2-row
.75# crystal 75 (Dont think 75 is even made, so I will use C80)
1.75# Chocolate Malt
.25# Peat Smoked Malt

1.8oz Pearle @ 90
.50oz Mt. Hood @ 15

White Labs WLP002 Yeast, but I'm gonna use Safale 04.

I'm not smoking my own malt. I cant get damn peat malt at my LHBS, So of course I will have to spend $6 to ship $1.50 worth of grain.

edit: Mash @ 154. Boil 90 minutes. Ferment @ 68F.

Morebeer sells Crystal 75.

Made this with some maple smoked grains as I didn't have access to peat smoked when I brewed. Added 1.5 ounces vanilla extract when I kegged and it came out great! Not as smokey as Stone's Smoked Porter due to the different grains I used but one of my better brews so far.

Is peat malt different than typical smoked malt? I brew a smoked porter that has a great smoked flavor, but I use three pounds of bramburg smoked malt per five gallon batch.

I brewed this several months ago and it came out great! Mine finished with a heavier body than the real Stone Smoked Porter, but was delicious none the less.

Brewed it today. OG came out to 1.062 and the wort sample tasted great with a smokey taste lingering on the tongue after swallowing.

Hey BeerPressure keep us updated. I want to know how it tastes out of the primary and after it's carbed. I'm putting this one somewhere in the pipeline.

About to bottle right now. Just took a FG reading and it finished out at 1.016, with a OG of 1.064 that brings it to just about 6%ABV.

Tastes great, definately taste the smoke but that will mellow as it sits in bottles.

Tasted my clone and the real thing today. My brew was darker in color and had a darker head. Maltier and a little smokier than the real stone brew. The stone tasted more bitter and a bit drier than mine. I was real satisfied with mine, almost like it better than the real one!

One of my favorites as well. I haven't yet tried this recipe but I have a similar peat smoked porter brew that was also a big hit with everyone that tried it.

Hi all, I'm going to attempt this recipe in about 2 weeks (waiting for my scottish ale to finish) and was wondering if any of you bottled it? I dont have a korny keg yet since I just started home brewing and dont think the wife is ready for me to spring the cost of a system on her yet :).

I have the Stone brewing book with the Stone Smoked Porter recipe

Here's what they say about the mash time:

10 mins at 157F followed by a temperature rise to 165F.

10 minutes seems like a short conversion time, can anybody tell me what you've used as a conversion time/ temperature?

Stefan

Back