Electric Flower Pot Smoker Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshortt

Reaction score
Hey, all. I decided to build a simple electric flower pot smoker. It's almost done.

Here's a link to my Flickr set for the build: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nspeppers/sets/72157626649568300/

I decided to build it without a PID for temperature control, at least to see how well I can dial it in without one. The PID will add close to $100 after it's done. OK, I could do it for close to $50 with a Chinese PID and SSR. This will get me off the ground though.

Costs
------
Pot: $30
Burner: $20
Wire: $2
Gang box: $2.50
Box plate: $2.50
Cast iron: $20
Grill: free
Temp probe: $14

Cost to date: $91 (plus tax)

I still need to find a lid. I'd like to use a terra cotta saucer or something like it but I haven't found something to match in size. I'll use a large patio stone to lay on top to start. It's like 2 inches thick so it will hold temps very well. I should just chizel it into a circle and mount a couple of handles!

-Rob

I work with a couple of guys who built these last year and have had pretty good success with them. Nice job!

Wow I totally misread the title. I was expecting a trippy electric flower.

I built one of these years ago, a la Alton Brown from Good Eats. I just flipped another pot on top of it, something like this: http://www.naffziger.net/blog/2008/07/05/the-alton-brown-flower-pot-smoker/

Yeah, that's what I had in mind too. I can't seem to find something to match the size yet.

In hindsight, I could have just purchased a cheap electric smoker here in the states for like $80.

But what's the fun in that? :) The sub $100 are a bit cheaply made anyways.

I built one of these years ago, a la Alton Brown from Good Eats. I just flipped another pot on top of it, something like this: http://www.naffziger.net/blog/2008/07/05/the-alton-brown-flower-pot-smoker/

In hindsight, I could have just purchased a cheap electric smoker here in the states for like $80.

I built one of these as well a few years ago, (Alton Brown is my god). Just flipped a similar size conical pot on top. Was probably the best smoker I've used to date.

I made an electronically controlled flowerpot smoker for about $150. (Here's my shopping list.) I housed the PID controller separately so that it can be plugged into a kettle to cook sous vide.

I've only used it a couple of times so I'm still getting used to it, but you can definitely "set it and forget it" for fatty things like ribs which can tolerate a bit of overcooking. I use a probe thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the meat.

You can definitely make things plenty smokey, if you want to. The only downside of it for me is that the grill area is fairly small.

Hey, all. I decided to build a simple electric flower pot smoker. It's almost done.

Here's a link to my Flickr set for the build: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nspeppers/sets/72157626649568300/

I decided to build it without a PID for temperature control, at least to see how well I can dial it in without one. The PID will add close to $100 after it's done. OK, I could do it for close to $50 with a Chinese PID and SSR. This will get me off the ground though.

Costs
------
Pot: $30
Burner: $20
Wire: $2
Gang box: $2.50
Box plate: $2.50
Cast iron: $20
Grill: free
Temp probe: $14

Cost to date: $91 (plus tax)

I still need to find a lid. I'd like to use a terra cotta saucer or something like it but I haven't found something to match in size. I'll use a large patio stone to lay on top to start. It's like 2 inches thick so it will hold temps very well. I should just chizel it into a circle and mount a couple of handles!

-Rob

The link sends me back to homebrew talk. Check the URL in the source code.

I had everything I needed to make one of these. Then I suddenly found an electric UDS at a yard sale for $10. So I never got to use it. I guess I might see if I still have the parts and give to a friend. I think he's mentioned wanting to build one before.

Latest posts

Back