Increasing Steeping Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
I am getting ready to do a basic blonde extract kit that comes with 1/2lb of Crystal 15L, and am thinking of adding another 1/2lb of 20L. What will the effect be on fermentables and flavor? The remainder of the kit is 7lb of ultralight LME and 1oz of Willamette hops, pretty basic.

I don't believe steeping grains have any effect on fermentables, although it may alter the flavor profile.

I suspected no change in fermentables, a little more sweet malt flavor won't hurt. Planning on adding a dash of Citra at flavor and strawberry extract at kegging to make a strawberry blonde. Thx.

22 points per pound per gallon. But that's also about were it tops out.
You can get some fermentation with pure light crystal, but adding an extra 1lb won't get any real world effects on the fememtablity of a batch, just more sweetness.

Interesting, brewed this today. Re-milled the kit grains along with first mill of the additional grain at a .030 gap for what looked like a good crush. Kit instructions said OG should be 1.044 - .048, refractometer showed 1.057.

Interesting, brewed this today. Re-milled the kit grains along with first mill of the additional grain at a .030 gap for what looked like a good crush. Kit instructions said OG should be 1.044 - .048, refractometer showed 1.057.

7 lbs of LME will get you to 1.049 in 5 gallons. 1 lb of crystal will add an additional .003 to .004, which is close to what you measured.

Back