English IPAs- what do you like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedore

Reaction score
At the moment, my palate's current love is India Pale Ales! I've been grabbing some mix-match 6's to try out different IPAs such as Founders Centennial, SN Celebration, SN Torpedo, Ale Asylum, Goose Island, Victory HopDevil, etc. I really liked the Goose Island IPA and how balanced it is compared to some American IPAs. I also recently tried some Meantime IPA (London, UK) when I was hanging out in downtown Detroit over Thanksgiving and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Based on what I've had so far, I really think the English style is a bit more agreeable for my palate. I'm wondering what everyone's favorite English IPAs are, especially the ones from the midwest breweries.

I haven't really seen a ton of different English IPAs out here in Wisconsin but I know there are a couple out there in the midwest such as the Commodore Perry.

What are your favorite English IPAs? Any that you'd recommend I run out immediately to grab, especially if they're more widely available in the US?

I've never had an English IPA, but I am interested in Brewing some up to experiment. I have a pound of goldings and fuggles do you have a recipe for a good one?

heres one that ive been meaning to make.

10lbs MO
8oz medium crystal

fwh 1oz EKG
15 1oz EKG
15 1oz fuggles
10 1oz EKG
10 1oz fuggles
5 1oz EKG
5 1oz fuggles
ibus 55
I was planning on using 1968, but any english strain will work....I also have a dry stout going with 007, that would get your EIPA's FG lower.....hmmm.

ya its something i thought up, but i havent brewed it yet, so if you do brew this, give me the heads up.

I've always really enjoyed Summit's IPA which is an English styled IPA featuring Northern Brewer, EKG and Target hops. Pretty tasty and drinkable compared to those in your face hop monsters some brewery's put out. Don't get me wrong, I like those too but something easy is nice too.

Don't have a recipe although the ingredients are listed here:
http://www.summitbrewing.com/brews/india-pale-ale

ya its something i thought up, but i havent brewed it yet, so if you do brew this, give me the heads up.

Will do, if I brew it!

I've always really enjoyed Summit's IPA which is an English styled IPA featuring Northern Brewer, EKG and Target hops. Pretty tasty and drinkable compared to those in your face hop monsters some brewery's put out. Don't get me wrong, I like those too but something easy is nice too.

Are English IPAs usually better balanced than American IPAs?

Are English IPAs usually better balanced than American IPAs?

Traditionally they are a little less hoppy, a little more balanced and don't have that same classic American citrusy zing to them. That's not to say that an english brewery can't make a hoppy American style IPA though. If you are talking stylistically according to the BJCP guidelines they should be more more balanced I think.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php

check out the comparison.

I enjoyed Samuel Smiths IPA, the balanced slightly muted hop profile ( comparatively) was nice.

the english IPA's ive tried have always had a stronger malt backbone, and the hops are obviously of the english variety so its less citrus/pine/tropical/dank, and more woodsey/earthy/spicey/floral etc. A book on IPA's that ive re-read numerous times showed some early ipa recipes (1800's-ish), and they were all high gravity high ibu beers.

dkm11b said:
the english IPA's ive tried have always had a stronger malt backbone, and the hops are obviously of the english variety so its less citrus/pine/tropical/dank, and more woodsey/earthy/spicey/floral etc. A book on IPA's that ive re-read numerous times showed some early ipa recipes (1800's-ish), and they were all high gravity high ibu beers.

Agreed. I've never really dabbled too much in English IPA's, so a few weeks ago I picked up about 15 different English ales (mostly IPA's), just out of curiosity, for my brother in law and I to drink during our last brew day (which made for a fun day!). We basically immersed ourselves into the English style that day. Overall, much more floral, muted hops - and most definitely more earthy/woodsy than the citrusy/piney flavors (along with the distinct Maris otter malty backbone). Some even tasted like they were hopped with dried mushrooms.

I prefer English-Inspired IPAs over pure English IPAs. Elysian Immortal IPA is one of the best in the category. It has a nice subdued bitterness, but high American hop aroma with tasty and complex British malt character.

And if you can get your hands on Three Floyd's Blackheart, try it!

bobbrews said:
I prefer English-Inspired IPAs over pure English IPAs. Elysian Immortal IPA is one of the best in the category. It has a nice subdued bitterness, but high American hop aroma with tasty and complex British malt character.

And if you can get your hands on Three Floyd's Blackheart, try it!

I'll have to try these ones out. I'm kind of in the same boat. I love the big hops of American styles, but a lot of American IPA's are a little too "thin" both in flavor and body otherwise. I've been thinking of doing something like an English inspired IPA, kind of a fusion of the 2 styles. I love this aspect of home brewing - being able to create something completely your own, by pulling in different aspects of the many styles you already love - into your own personal super beer!

Back