Pumpkin dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I have a pretty solid dubbel and pumpkin ale but I was thinking, what if I made a pumpkin dubbel? I honestly have no idea how it would taste. Has anyone ever made/had one before?

i have a Belgian dark strong in the fermenter now that I have added pumpkin and some light spices to. I have VERY high hopes for this batch. It will not be ready until Autumn next year.

I got the idea from a HBC member who is a pro brewer. He warns that you need 1/2 the spices of a standard Pumpkin ale due to the spicy Belgian phenols and esters. I used 1214 that acted stalled for 24 hours but finally took off. (Pretty typical of the strain I read.)

Hi.
I made a pumpkin dubbel last year as like my third brew ever.
Wasn't a big fan, though it definitely held true to the whole "the last beer is the best" adage. The longer the bottles sat, the better each successive one tasted.
I think the spices we used were our biggest downfall. The cinnamon and fairly robust carbonation made me think "pepsi" for the first 6 months or so.
FYI, it was based on the extract dubbel recipe in Papazian's book.

I use half the spices that Jamil recommends, and might actually use even less. I think spices, fruits, or any other interesting ingredient are best used in very, very small doses.

Latest posts

Back