Unreal How Much Heat Primary fermentation gives Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My basement is at about 58 Degrees right now. I have my Carboy sitting next to our Furnace in the Basement, wrapped up in a Moving blanket. My Primary is sitting comfy at 68 Degrees, and happily bubbling away. I'm sure that the Carboy being close to the Furnace is gelping, but still, I am also sure that the Active Primary Fermentation has a lot to do with the Wort Temp. Cool stuff I tell ya.:D

Yep, during the first couple of days in primary, I find that there is a 8-10 degree differential (as in higher) from ambient temp from the heat generated by those little yeasties.

My with the sensor taped to my Ale Pail, my freezer works harder to keep the 65 degree setting, but after couple of days, equilibrium sets in.

Your beer will evenutally cool to ambient after a couple days.

I hear you. Last night I left the window in my fermentation room open, and the room got below zero. The water in the airlock started to freeze, but the beer was still up around 60!

EdWort said:
My with the sensor taped to my Ale Pail, my freezer works harder to keep the 65 degree setting, but after couple of days, equilibrium sets in.

i wish i lived somewhere hot where i had to cool down the carboy somehow to primary ale temperatures. its miserable here right now and its only going to get colder. im lagering outside in my garage.

peterfuse said:
i wish i lived somewhere hot where i had to cool down the carboy somehow to primary ale temperatures. its miserable here right now and its only going to get colder. im lagering outside in my garage.

Ah yes, but in Ireland, one only needs to walk to the neighborhood pub for a pint. What's a pint going for today over there? The dollar is so low, I'd have to brew beer out of necessity as well. :drunk:

well its Northern Ireland(UK) but shush i didn't admit that, so we use the british pound. an average Imperial pint(20oz i think) is about 5 dollars on average. how much in Texas?

peterfuse said:
Yeah it's a great time to brew right now. It's supposed to get down to 70°F this weekend.

hehe Get down to 70F you say? It's going to be upper 60's here in Ohio today, which is almost a record for this time of year. Normal high for this time of year is about 40F.

It will be in the 80s today in Austin. It's supposed to get down to the 50s by Thanksgiving. Whoo Hoo!

i had to put the space heater in the fermentation cellar. pitched sunday night when the wort was still around 70, but the ambient temp was down to fifty-four degrees monday evening. set it at 65, and she was bubbling away this morning.

I like brewing in colder weather. I can ferment ales in the house right now, ferment lagers in the brewery and lager in the new garage. The conditioning cabinet sits at 50F without any heat or cooling.

Been getting some morning frost here, but that's about as cold as it normally goes.

Back