5 gal mash tun cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaley

Reaction score
I can't find the answer I'm looking for, maybe I'm wording it weird but here goes.

I have a cylinder shaped 5 gal mash tun, the one from NB, and I was curious how many pounds of grains + gallons of water would you guys feel safe putting in? I found a recipe that SWMBO would love to try, it's a chocolate cappuccino stout. And it has a good amount of grains and like 8 gallons of water, but because the 8 gallons of water won't fit, what would you guys do or how would you recommend I do that recipe? also how much pounds of grains as a max for an 5 gal cooler? (Sorry for typos my phone won't let me see what I'm typing and my comp is out of order for now)

Thanks for the help!

I can't find the answer I'm looking for, maybe I'm wording it weird but here goes.

I have a cylinder shaped 5 gal mash tun, the one from NB, and I was curious how many pounds of grains + gallons of water would you guys feel safe putting in? I found a recipe that SWMBO would love to try, it's a chocolate cappuccino stout. And it has a good amount of grains and like 8 gallons of water, but because the 8 gallons of water won't fit, what would you guys do or how would you recommend I do that recipe? also how much pounds of grains as a max for an 5 gal cooler? (Sorry for typos my phone won't let me see what I'm typing and my comp is out of order for now)

Thanks for the help!

assuming a mash ratio of 1.25qt/lb, that is 25.6 lbs of grain. Are you sure this is correct? (that is one big stout if it is....RIS territory).

I did 24 lbs of grain in a 10 gallon MT for a RIS and it barely fit.

for a 5 gallon MT you will have to rework the recipe for get rid of some of the grain and add in DME/LME instead (i.e. do a partial mash).

broadbill said:
assuming a mash ratio of 1.25qt/lb, that is 25.6 lbs of grain. Are you sure this is correct? (that is one big stout if it is....RIS territory).

I did 24 lbs of grain in a 10 gallon MT for a RIS and it barely fit.

for a 5 gallon MT you will have to rework the recipe for get rid of some of the grain and add in DME/LME instead (i.e. do a partial mash).

I'd have to recheck the recipe on the site, but I do remember a huge grain bill, and I didn't know if scaling down the grains would kill the batch or not

My bad, it was a chocolate espresso stout.

12.0 lbs American 2-row
1.0 lbs American Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
2.0 lbs Roasted Barley
1.0 lbs Light Brown Sugar
8 oz Dark Cocoa Powder - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 lbs Molasses
.5 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1.0 oz Saaz (5.00%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
8.00 fl oz WYeast 1056 American Ale
4 c Coffee Beans (Espresso) - added dry to secondary fermenter

About 18.5 lbs, maybe I thought it was bigger, but I didn't think my 5 gallon could handle this recipe.

I only count 17 lbs.

Also, seems really heavy on chocolate and roasted barley, even for a stout. Where did you get this recipe?

broadbill said:
I only count 17 lbs.

Also, seems really heavy on chocolate and roasted barley, even for a stout. Where did you get this recipe?

The molasses and cocoa powder don't get added into the mash tun? I got it from the recipe section on the forum.

Those get added at the boil.

I would not try this recipe note for note in a 5 gal. I WOULD try modifying this recipe by steeping the dark grains at the end of your boil (not putting in the mash tun) as discussed in another current thread, and aiming to get less sugar in the wort from your mash, balancing out with DME. It wouldn't ruin the recipe. It will just make it different. Possibly better.

It's not cheating if you like the results. :)

TapeDeck said:
Those get added at the boil.

I would not try this recipe note for note in a 5 gal. I WOULD try modifying this recipe by steeping the dark grains at the end of your boil (not putting in the mash tun) as discussed in another current thread, and aiming to get less sugar in the wort from your mash, balancing out with DME. It wouldn't ruin the recipe. It will just make it different. Possibly better.

It's not cheating if you like the results. :)

I'll keep that in mind, I want another good all grain batch. I only have done 1 so far.. I'll see if I can Frankenstein this recipe with the help of beer smith!

The most grain I've ever fitted into a 5g cooler was 14 lbs, mashed with 3 1/2 g water (1 qt / lb).
It came to within 2 inches of the top.

-a.

ajf said:
The most grain I've ever fitted into a 5g cooler was 14 lbs, mashed with 3 1/2 g water (1 qt / lb).
It came to within 2 inches of the top.

-a.

How'd that turn out? Using the 1qt / lb, does using less water ( 1 qt vs 1.25 qt per lb ) will it make the beer more dry, less dry, any thing that is noticeably better or worse?

I always use 1 qt/lb for English beers. According to Ray Daniels and Greg Noonan it is traditional together with mashing at 150F. I find it gives a more malty character to the beer than 1.25 qt/lb which I find gives a bland character. However, I've only tried it with English malts. I don't know how it would work with US malts.
The only down side I can think of is that it requires a bit more stirring at dough in.

-a.

ajf said:
I always use 1 qt/lb for English beers. According to Ray Daniels and Greg Noonan it is traditional together with mashing at 150F. I find it gives a more malty character to the beer than 1.25 qt/lb which I find gives a bland character. However, I've only tried it with English malts. I don't know how it would work with US malts.
The only down side I can think of is that it requires a bit more stirring at dough in.

-a.

Oh well, I'll stir a little bit more! Thanks for your input, I'll keep that in mind this brew coming up!

Looks like 16lb grain - the brown sugar, cocoa, and molasses all go in the boil. If you do it as a 4 gal batch that would get you under 13 lbs, that will fit.

chickypad said:
Looks like 16lb grain - the brown sugar, cocoa, and molasses all go in the boil. If you do it as a 4 gal batch that would get you under 13 lbs, that will fit.

I'll keep that in mind once I get beer smith, I just ordered a kiwi express ipa from NB, my wife decided that we haven't tried to make an ipa yet so why not. I'll have to really think about that chocolate espresso it sounds good

Back