Are There Standard Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to AG (only two BIABs under my belt). The problem is, when I look for a recipe, the number I find is overwhelming!

Are there "standard" recipes for the different beer styles that get you the basic beer? I'm thinking of recipes that more-or-less everyone agrees makes an APA or a Stout or a whatever, that you could then vary in later batches to put your own twist on it.

My current problem is that I'd like to make an Oatmeal Stout or a Cream/Milk Stout, but can't pick a recipe. Every write-up makes every recipe sound good.

There are various opinions on it, but I recommend Brewing Classic Styles. It's a great book with a solid recipe for every style. Give it a look.

Oh, and don't trust every recipe you see on here. There are some clunkers.

Definitely check out Brewing Classic Styles - I've made a few beers from that book, and they've all been fantastic!

I'm currently making my way through Designing Great Beers, as I really want to learn to formulate my own recipes. So far, it seems a good resource, but I'm still really early in the book...

I'm relatively new to AG (only two BIABs under my belt). The problem is, when I look for a recipe, the number I find is overwhelming!

Are there "standard" recipes for the different beer styles that get you the basic beer? I'm thinking of recipes that more-or-less everyone agrees makes an APA or a Stout or a whatever, that you could then vary in later batches to put your own twist on it.

My current problem is that I'd like to make an Oatmeal Stout or a Cream/Milk Stout, but can't pick a recipe. Every write-up makes every recipe sound good.

I agree with Brewing Classic Styles.

Also, when viewing the recipe database here, one thing I do is sort the listings by replies (click the column header) so the most-commented recipes in the particular style I've chosen come up first. That way the recipes where someone has added it and hasn't posted any results are way at the bottom of the list.

I just made Yooper's Oatmeal Stout recipe and it came out fantastic. Search in the recipe thread and it's on the first page under Stout.

Back