Carboy Crates with castors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaRules

Reaction score
I decided after breaking my back lifting and moving carboys so many times. I finally added wheels to my milk crates.

This is my project.

Materials List from Home Depot:
12, 1 1/4" Swivel Castor's = $2.49
1, 2X2' sheet of 3/8" wood = $5
1 box #6 1 1/4" machine wood screws = $5
3 milk crates = Use your imagination (Or you can buy crates at Staples)
Total $40

1280-aligning-carboy-dryer.jpg

Here I'm aligning my carboy dryer to fit inside the crates, inside the support structure for the casters. This allows me to dry my carboys in the crates for just a little added support.

1281-preparing-assembly.jpg

Preparing for assembly.

1282-attaching-wheels-checking-clearance.jpg

Assembled!

1283-crates-carboys.jpg

Ahhh! Done and they fit great! :ban:

As you can see I have hardwood floors and I don't want to scratch them. Or at least minimize the damage.

If I wanted to do this again I might use 1/2" plywood and longer screws but this will do for quite a while.

You, my good sir, are brilliant :ban:

I've been using a towel to "drag" my carboys across the floor on my hardwood....been thinking about getting something to roll them around with but haven't done it just yet.

You, my good sir, are brilliant :ban:

I've been using a towel to "drag" my carboys across the floor on my hardwood....been thinking about getting something to roll them around with but haven't done it just yet.

Ive been looking high and low for anyone's pictures on what they have done but nothing! So I figured I would document it and post pictures. Thank you for the compliment!
:mug:

Right on, glad you did post. You might inspire me to head to Lowes some time this week :)

The only issue is that there's a small lip (2.5" or so) into the cabinet that I generally ferment in....I might just have to do a little home renovation to take care of that :)

Looks cool!!!!! I'm confused though. Are they sitting on top of the carboy dryers in the final picture?

They are not sitting on the dryer as they would be to high. But when the carboys are drying upside down they are fine.

Here is the carboy on the dryer
1287-carboy-resting-dryer.jpg

Here is the carboy in the crate with the dryer.
1286-dryer-resting-top-carboy.jpg

It was just hard to tell with the carboy on the far right, it looked like there was some blue inside under the carboy.

But it is a cool design and solution, btw! :mug:

Pictures are back up! Most have been some kind of server issue.

@revvy it's just a simple carboy dryer, just bought it at my LHBS.

Back