Just Put My Grape Wine in the Secondary - Tasted perfect already!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hi all.

I just seconded my grape wine. It was 6 gallons with 2lbs of sugar. I had been told if making wine that it would take a long time to age for taste. But as I secondaried (no such word) I tasted a shot, yes at 9am in the morning. And...

Wow it tasted great. I don't think ill carbonate it as much as I thought I was going to. I wonder now if I should not wait so long in secondary. I dont see how it could taste any better than that.

It tastes like a fairly inexpensive wine but less bitter. I bought the cheapest ingredients. Definatley warmed me up so I know its got to be around 10% alcohol.

Should I age it or just go for bottling in a week or two?:confused:

You want to make absolutely sure that fermentation is done before you bottle. Otherwise you'll blow off the corks.

If you carbonate your wine (ick!), you'll have to bottle in beer bottles because wine bottles and corks aren't meant to hold pressure.

mew said:
What's wrong with carbed wine?!

Carbonated wine is champagne. Wine is meant to be still and co2 gas is a flaw. But in my case, I would never ever carbonate a wine. I like to drink wine with dinner and prefer a rich dry wine.

However, I believe in drinking what you like- if you like it, it's cool!

Back