Accidentally Too Much Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintron3000

Reaction score
ok, So this is my second brew.
First one turned out great, no problem.

This time, I'm doing a stout. Extract recipe from Midwest Supplies.
Along with the kit, I'd ordered some other odds and ends for my NEXT brew.. that included a package of light DME.
So in my haste to brew the stout, the 1lb bag of DME went in with my 6lbs of Dark LME.

Obviously, that is a lot of fermentables. There were also some steeping grains that contributed a lot as well.

My OG was 1.052.

What considerations do i have now to get this to come out ok? Ferment longer? What I can I expect this accidental addition to do to the final product? More sweetness or just more alcohol?

Thanks in advance.

I don't suppose I'm very qualified to answer, but since no one else seems to be helping out...it think it would only increase your sugar content slightly. Since you used so much dark LME compared to 1lb. of DME I don't think it would affect it much. If it was more dark DME than it would probably increase the roasted flavor of the other dark LME, but if it was lighter then it would probably just increase alcohol slightly by raising your OG.

I would put your beer in a centrifuge. The only way you can save this beer is by spinning some of the sugar out of it. You can use your dryer if you don't have lab equipment, but do it ASAP.

I think you're going to get a stronger beer that may taste a little different than expected, but I don't think it will actually hurt anything. Definitely do NOT dump it!

My $0.02...maybe some of the more experienced brewers can comment as well.

Completely wrong carnevoodoo, centrifuging will precipitate out the alpha acids! This beer is ruined, you'll just have to drink the whole batch by yourself as punishment.

another trick is to use sodium chloride.. regular table salt... to separate dark dme from light dme...

since you have a pound of light dme... use approx 200g of regular table salt...
they should separate out and you can siphon the top bit off(the light dme)

Completely wrong carnevoodoo, centrifuging will precipitate out the alpha acids! This beer is ruined, you'll just have to drink the whole batch by yourself as punishment.

No, you're both wrong, the only thing he can do to save this batch is as follows:
1.) Leave it alone for 3-4 weeks
2.) Rack to secondary and bulk age for a few months(this is a stout :D )
3.) Prime & Bottle
4.) Mail bottles to my house and I will "Save" the them :tank:

No, you're both wrong, the only thing he can do to save this batch is as follows:
1.) Leave it alone for 3-4 weeks
2.) Rack to secondary and bulk age for a few months(this is a stout :D )
3.) Prime & Bottle
4.) Mail bottles to my house and I will "Save" the them :tank:

Who taught you how to brew? It is too late for salt or centrifuge. You need to bury this beer in a hole EXACTLY 1.3 meters deep. If the soil has too much clay, the composition of the beer will be ruined, so looks for a good clean dirt space for this. Remove your airlock, and the dirt will act like a filter, precipitating out the extra DME. It is sort of the same principal as magnets, the dark dirt will attract the light DME.

This HAS to be done at night, though. Careful.

Assclowns.

Clintron, your beer will be fine. You will end up with a bit higher ABV, that's all. The taste will change slightly, but not that a guy with only a few batches will notice.

relax, you made beer.

B

If my memory serves, one pound of DME in one gallon will give you a gravity of 1.046. So, in five gallons, you would have added about .009 gravity points to the beer.

That's not much at all, although it may give you an ever-so-sweeter finish if you didn't increase the hops. I'd call it pretty negligible!

By adding the 1 lb of light DME you have really just increased your fermentable sugars. You will see an increase in alchohol. Depending on your yeast and fermentation conditions you may see an increase in final OG. What yeast did you use by chance? Being that you added "Light" DME you shouldn't see too much of a difference in flavor. Bitterness will not be as high. It may take longer to ferment but when it comes to yeast you never know. It may not.

If I were you I would just let it run it's course. I am sure you will be happy with the result. :mug:

Best answer so far.

But really, nothing to worry about. And who knows, maybe it'll come out great and you use this 'accident' as a regular recipe in the future.

+1 - Make sure you take notes on how you did this brew (you should always be saving notes about your brews). If it comes out great - you may want to brew it again.

Thanks for all the help gang.
It's a good thing I kept reading... I was already firing up the mini-fuge and busting out the rock salt after the first few posts.

I'm just glad no one recommended the homeopathic method of DME removal and tell me add pure lead. ...I highly doubt that would work twice in a row.

ha!

In all seriousness, thanks for the heads up. I assumed it would be ok, but just wanted to check and see if anything was needed to balance the sweetness or alcohol. I'll just leave it be and enjoy the kick!

Thanks!

PS: Someone asked what kind of yeast. I just pitched Muntons brewers dry.

My OG was 1.052.

What considerations do i have now to get this to come out ok? Ferment longer? What I can I expect this accidental addition to do to the final product? More sweetness or just more alcohol?

The extra malt extract will raise your ABV by about one half of a percent. It won't change your fermentation time, especially if you go with leaving the beer in primary for a month.

Latest posts

Back