Question on chest freezer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phattysbox

Reaction score
Hi guys! First time here on homebrewtalk and I'm over here cause' I couldn't get a straight answer on BA... :rolleyes:

I'm planning on setting up a simple chest freezer for 2 kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank. Not planning on building or getting tap handles as of yet - maybe in the future though, I'm fine with picnic taps right now. I want to get a 5.0 cu ft freezer since space is a premium in my apt here in NYC.

My question is about interior depth. Are these freezers deep enough to hold all the kegs plus regulators and hoses? I'm clear on arrangement of the kegs but not depth in the freezer. Do I have to build a collar?

Cheers, :mug:

J

I believe the pin lock kegs are taller than ball locks but I could be wrong. I have a 7.1 cu and I had to build a collar. I can fit 4 kegs 10lb CO2 tank plus regulator and a 6 pac of beer in it.

It will be entirely dependent on the freezer you get. I have a Danby 5.2 Cu Ft. and it holds 3 kegs on the floor WITH a 5# C02 tank. If you plan to put a keg on the compressor hump you will need a collar. If you want to put taps out the side, you likely will need a collar.

I think you should be fine with just 2 kegs and C02. But again, not all 5.0 Cu Ft. freezers are the same...some will hold more than others based on compressor layout. Check the sticky in the bottling/kegging section for a good measure on layouts of various freezers.

whip out the measuring tape and see if its big enough.

arrange the kegs and equipment on the floor and measure a box around the stuff. then measure how tall the tallest item is. next go to the appliance store and measure the insides of the freezers. when you find one thats big enough your done. buy it and be happy.

I measured a keg for you: 25" tall (at least mine, and I wouldn't expect a lot of variation).

Now just take your tape measure when you go freezer shopping!

I have a 7 cu ft freezer that fits 4 kegs & a 5lb CO2 tank & 3+ six packs of beer and I don't have a collar -- it closes just fine.

Just measure the height of a keg & measure the freezer interior height!

Back