Using fruit smoothie concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonjonesVW

Reaction score
we use Teawave brand fruit smoothie concentrate at my work & i was thinking of racking some Applewine onto it. They're preservative free & extremely tasty.

The ingredients in the wildberry are:
Red tea infused water, sugar, blueberry puree, raspberry puree, marionberry puree, natural flavors, citric acid, pectin gum, cellulose gum, guar gum and malic acid.

Will any of the above bold ingredients have negative effects? :confused:

The gums are all thickening agents. As long as you don't use alot of the smoothie concentrate, I don't see it causing a huge issue. I'd try a small amount in a bottle of applewine and let it age for a few weeks just to make sure there won't be any adverse effects. Malic acid is one of the acids used in acid blend for wine making, so no problems with that one.

i wouldn't be to concerned by the Malic Acid. i believe that is one of the acid types normally added to wine to improve mouth feel. the pectin gum may make the wine cloudy unless you add pectin enzyme. no idea about the others.

I'll probably try racking onto about 12 oz. of the wildberry smoothie mix with 1/2 teaspoon of pectic enzyme in a 1 gallon jug & see what happens. :drunk:

Back