Oaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cafeviking

Reaction score
I wonder if Jack Daniel's oak chips (for BBQ) could be used to oak a beer in secondary?

get a 1 gallon carboy, and do a test batch with just 1 gallon of beer, racking the rest as normal.
if that 1 gallon tastes fine, then step it up to a full batch.

other than someone coming in here and saying "i used them myself and they worked" this is the best way to find out for sure.

When using oak chips, how much is used and for how long? I've heard to take samples daily and remove the oak once the taste is acceptable as prolonged exposure can be overpowering.

Yes they can..I was searching oaking the other day and came upon a post by texlaw I believe where he mentioned having used them...You still would have to sanitize them some way, either by steaming OR by soaking in more jack daniels...

There's another thread somewhere around here about cutting up red oak lumber, burnishing, and soaking in whiskey. Sounds like a terrible idea to me because even if it's not pressure treated, who knows what they might add to the wood for "quality" or whatever. It seems like smoke chips would be safer because something meant to smoke food would have to be pure or it would obviously impart chemicals or additives to the food.

Red oak imparts different (undesirable) flavors, so that's another reason not to use it.

You know, I thought so but I didn't research it. Makes undesirable looking kitchens, too.

Latest posts

Back