DMS and Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
I'm brewing an IPA recipe this weekend that includes 5 lbs of pilsner malt in the grain bill. That works out to about 17% of the total. I've read you're supposed to boil Pilsner malt for 90 minutes to get rid of any DMS. Is that still true if i'm using it in a smaller percentage? I usually boil 60 minutes, but i've also never used Pilsner malt. How long should I boil this batch to be on the safe side?

if you've never done a 90 minute boil, i'd say try it out this weekend! :)

I don't think you'd have too much of a problem with a rigorous 60 minute boil, tho, as long as your pot isn't covered.

I would say that since it isnt a huge percentage of your bill that it would not be an issue. Since its a small % and like deathbrewer said give a good boil a try.

if you've never done a 90 minute boil, i'd say try it out this weekend! :)

It might go ahead and do that. A little extra time and a little extra propane, but not a big deal. I don't mind a little longer boil just to be on the safe side.

I have used Pilsner as the majority of my base malt before and only done a 60 minute boil with no cooked veggie or other off flavors. Granted, I dont think I have the best palette when it comes to off flavors so take my advice with a grain of salt. Also, I do get quite a rigourous boil with the turkey fryer.

you might want to just SMELL the steam as it rises off the kettle. pils has a distinctive canned corn smell that lessens as the boil goes on. i use a hell of a lot of pils and usually boil 90 minutes.

Back