Double Pitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BleedsDogFish

Reaction score
I'm looking into my 3rd batch of homebrew, from AHS. Some of the bigger beers I've been looking at have a double yeast pitching option on the kit. It says something like AHS recommends double pitching the yeast. Is this necessary, or would making a starter eliminate the need for double pitching?

If you're not concerned about $, and are not using a 'specialty' yeast(i.e. liquid), just by two packs of dry and throw 'em in. I do it all the time with Safale-05. Works great.

With liquid yeast, I believe that the best option(and the one most here would recommend) is to take the time to make a starter.

+1 for the starter.

It also makes you feel like a mad scientist while you do it, especially if you build your own stir plate.

Try scooping out a coffee cup full of trub from a previous batch of beer and adding that in addition to your yeast. Whatch how fast that one takes off. Be sure to use a blow of hose!

mrk305 said:
Try scooping out a coffee cup full of trub from a previous batch of beer and adding that in addition to your yeast. Whatch how fast that one takes off. Be sure to use a blow of hose!

Only if the yeast is the same strain. You don't want to mix and match yeasts normally - usually one strain will outcompete the other.

Back